Archinect
anchor

Boston architectural college

Nyr0604

This school was continuously popping up in my research in an attempt to find a part time graduate program. Having said this, the information I have been coming across has been split between good and bad reviews, and are not very current. My question is can somebody share some experiences with this school, and if it's worth attending. Thank you in advance!

Jan 2, 15 11:46 pm
midfish

Depends on what kind of a school you're looking for. I was thinking about applying to BAC too, but from what I read and heard, it is a very technical school that does not really put emphasis on theory/ does not value interdisciplinary work within architecture. I also talked to three different people who go to BAC and they all said negative things about the school (lack of resources, strictly structured curriculum)- actually these people kinda hated it.  Anyway, it is a small school in a nice city, which is a plus, but definitely think about what kind of an education you're looking for / what you want to do after finishing school  

Jan 7, 15 2:21 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

If an architecture program doesn't require a portfolio for admission, that should tell you pretty much everything you need to know.

Jan 7, 15 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

I wasn't actually a degree student, but took some continuing ed classes there to learn Sketchup and Adobe CC. There were a lot of B.Arch students in those classes, who I got to talk to about this. 

Honestly, the quality of the program there is not very good. Their faculty works for pennies, mostly just to get teaching experience. And in general the school is very resource poor. I can see why someone would be tempted (as I was) to work full time and take classes at night to work on a degree part time. It works for a few, incredibly committed people. I used to work for someone who was an attorney before taking night classes at the BAC and getting an interior design degree. She now has a thriving interior design practice. It took her 7 years. I don't know anyone who has successfully done this for architecture. 

In my case, I made the decision to apply to full time M.Arch programs this year rather than waste more money there. 

Jan 9, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
tishlicious

I'm currently enrolled at BAC in their Distance Master's of Architecture program with only 2 semesters left before graduation.  My feelings about the school and program is very mixed but I want to give advice to those seriously thinking about enrolling.  A quick background about myself I came from an architecture background going into the program.  I attended Kent State University for my B.S. in Architecture degree which is a very very good architecture school so I came in the program with an advantage I think.  The only reason I didn't attend Kent grad program was due to my twin brother dying during finals so I took the time  to be with family and the school told me to come back the following year.  As fate had it I landed a salary paying job at a firm and didn't want to give it up so I did research and made calls and the BAC was mentioned.  This was a program where I could get an accredited degree as well as keep my job which was a win/win for me.you do have to go to the school as a distance student one a semester for a week for something called Intensive.  The intensive he just that INTENSE! You dont have much time if any to explore the school you will be at BAC 90% of the time the other 10% in the hotel.  You have to submit a portfolio for your submission. The thing is it is open enrollment but based on the quality of the portfolio as well as your previous degree you can come on semester 1 or semester 3 a difference being in school a whole extra year.  I came in as semester 3 there is a total 7 semester is the Distance M arch program.

PROS -

1. You can work while in the program. Teachers are very flexible understanding and easy to talk to if you communicate your issues just don't over do it. 

2. The school is gaining a reputation in a good way IF you graduate.  Firms have heard about the program it's gaining a reputation and emerging.

3. Great location where you can meet great people.  you have farmers markets near by, great restaurants, parks and for the intensive you meet great people.

CONS -

1. For you guys with an architecture background the open enrollment will annoy you.  It feels like your advanced in class with people who are just clueless and only got in because of open enrollment. Some people come in not understanding how rigorous and time consuming our field is.  The Distance M Arch program is mostly if not all people working in firms and that have a background in architecture so this program would be for those with an background seeking a masters or licensing.

2. Will pass anyone for the money. As an online student I get frustrated when a person who never post, never update work or has bad work automatically get through to the next level.  ultimately if hurts the student but it hurts the school as well. it's discouraging and essentially this is an accredited program. I have seen less talented people skate through the program and to be honest it discourages the other students. Hey everyone in this program works, most have children and it's not fair when you can break your back and do good work and get the same grade or a slightly better grade than someone who doesn't care.  Seems like the program being new is just happy to be getting the money that they don't care.

3. You have to have a job!  This is a pro for me personally but some still have problems finding work and lets be honest those with no architecture background unless you have connections you are set up to fail.  I have seen BAC let student go to the next semester with no work so i dont know how strict they are or how they go about making that student complete their work I just know working and school go hand in hand in this program and they dont place you with a job especially if you are a Distance student.

4. tuition is STEEP!  And it sucks because you arent on campus and this can put you in a financial bind.

My final advice if you are someone with an architecture background, already work at an architecture firm with a bachelors and want to go back for your masters to sit for exams THIS IS THE SCHOOL FOR YOU! Most of the time the non architects who think architecture is about drawing pretty pictures will be in for a rude awakening and not make it to the end anyway. The program has gotten better over time and will continue to work out kinks as the years go by but I've only been in the program 2 years and will have my masters soon so its worth it.   For students that don't have an architecture background I just would not waste my time.  The school just wants your money. Yes they accepted you but think about the real world.  If you don't know computer programs like Revit, autocad hell sketchup dont enroll, if you dont have connections with firms or access to a job, dont enroll and realize becoming an architect is more than just your degree.  You need to complete IDP hours and you need  to be full time employee at a firm. 

Jun 26, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 
dallas92

Hi everyone! I have a quick question for tishlicious, who posted about being a current student at BAC or any other current students enrolled for the masters architecture distance program. I have a bachelor degree in Interior Design and have been working in the field for over 5 years. I currently work at an architecture firm and want to pursue my masters but in architecture. I already do architectural projects daily but I want more knowledge and too extend my education. I know there is more to learn in architecture and I want to get all the knowledge I can! I am proficient in Revit, Autocad, sketchup, photoshop, etc. So I guess my question is since I do not have an undergrad degree in architecture is this not a program for me? If so, will it provide me with the knowledge I am looking for? I am becoming a licensed designer and I plan to become a licensed architect. Is BAC's masters in architecture distance program right for me? I will be working full time at an architecture firm through out the program. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Nov 2, 16 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
archietechie

Look up the thread "the truth about Boston Architectural College". Generally not a good idea to canvass for ideas on your life changing decisions.

Nov 2, 16 11:53 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: