Archinect
anchor

Should I search for new internship?

CLOCLO

Hello,

I'm a 3rd year student and have been interning at a small firm for the past year and a half, working full time during the summer/winter breaks and part time during the school year. The office I work at is small and I've been able to easily interact with all members of the team. I've learned a great deal of how the office is run and what the professional world is all about. This firm seems to like me very much and have said that to want to hire me full time once I've completed school. My pay has been above average compared to other students my age interning. So far I've mainly been working on schematic design and then handing the schematics off to other architects in the office to develop them into CDs and deal with CA.  

However, this has been the only place I have worked. When I first begun school I had always imagined myself getting different internships each summer, getting experience working for construction firms or larger architecture firms or even the government. I've also seemed to have created a niche for myself where I work as I've only been working on SD since I began so I've become pretty efficient at it. However, I want to learn and do more. Eventually I see myself becoming a project manager and want to begin doing what I have to in order to achieve that goal.

Is working at the same place for a long time in the beginning of one's career a good idea? Or should I go out and see what else is out there in order to gain perspective and other skills? Or is it better to stay at a relatively small firm, work my way up through the ranks, and build a history with them with the eventual hope of securing myself a long term job?

Dec 31, 14 10:31 pm
accesskb

You could ask them for other responsibilities. 

One advice I got from a prof during graduation was to switch firms every 3 years early on in your career. :)

Jan 1, 15 2:59 am  · 
 · 
anonitect

When you talk to your firm about full-time work, let them know what your goals are. If they're willing to work with you, and you like your co-workers, I'd stay. It sounds like you are doing well, and gaining proficiency at important skills.

Jan 1, 15 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Sounds like you're in a pretty good situation no matter what you choose.

I made a point of working at 4 different offices throughout school, all of them wildly different, to figure out what I liked. One was a large government-agency, one was a small suburban home designer (3-person firm), the next was a full year out at a 25-person firm, and the last was at an 8-person high-design firm specializing in arctic projects. All totally different, which meant completely different office working mechanisms. I think it has helped me branch out more, and the contacts that I've made have been superb. I also know exactly what I want in a firm now when I finish my M.Arch, particularly in terms of office management and practice standards.

That being said, I've also not been able to see a complete project through, as three of those were 4-month placements. The 1-year position was on larger projects (libraries, condo's, rec centers) that typically need longer to be realized. As I was still a student that probably wasn't a reasonable expectation to receive due to time constraints.

Jan 2, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 
CLOCLO

Thanks for the responses.

I mean I'm happy with where I am and I know that there is great opportunity for growth and learning in a smaller, tight knit firm. However I'm questioning how can I be sure if I'm happy and its the best thing for me if I've never experienced anything else. I still have 2 summers left before graduation. Just have to see if I should stay where I'm at for the next summer or two to show continuity and dedication or if I should experience two other places to figure out if this is really the type of firm I would want to be working at. 

Jan 9, 15 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: