Archinect
anchor

Becoming a General Contractor

Veuxx

What is the process for an architect to get a GC license?

Is there a minimum of required years of construction experience required before you can take the exam?

I live in Arizona if that helps.

Dec 30, 14 1:35 pm
BulgarBlogger

In NY anyone can get a GC license as long as they do the following:

1. Get background check from DOB (Pay $330)

2. Get notarized check from bank or show bank statements for last three months showing ending balance of at least $25,000. 

3. Have General Liability insurance for at least $1,000,000.

Once you completed these steps, you will be notified by the NYC DOB and will be sent a letter with administrative instructions. You have 1 year from the date of receiving the letter to get your license. 

Hope this helps.

Dec 30, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

in AZ I believe you need 4 years exp for a GC and need to take an exam. check the azroc website. There are literally 100 contractors licenses for all different things each has different reqs.  landscape contractors require 2 years exp. Also, its the business that is licensed not the individual.  the business must be an llc or a corp.  the license stays with the business and if the qualifying party leaves for whatever reason the license remains as long as its in good standing.  i believe a 5000$ bond is required for residential GC and more for commercial...not sure though.  

Dec 30, 14 5:43 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

in otherwords, its perfectly legal to buy a license/business without experiance. wouldnt  be wise though...

Dec 30, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

#1 business to go under:  restaurants

#2:  GC

good luck!

Dec 30, 14 9:12 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: