Archinect
anchor

What else to architects do? and what software is used?

Djc225

do/can architects perform any of the following:

- create site plans?

- create documents for subdividing land?

- other development related tasks?

- other engineering related tasks?

I ask because I'm interested in getting into development and would like to see what other services (other than design and rendering of a building) an architect could  provide. 

Also, what are the main software options that architects use?  If I bought some standard plans  I'd like to import into a software to see what changes could be made to adjust budget and materials list. 

Dec 28, 14 11:44 am
awaiting_deletion

yes to all above

AutoCAD, Revit, Photoshop, Excel

Dec 28, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Development engineering is a different cow….I got into my first by going down to my county office a paid for a set of drawings from another nearby development and copied the format and info required…use them as a reference to create your own drawings….different skillset but can be done. Because the approval authorities are all engineers I ran into some problems sealing the drawings as an architect but gave them a little stiff-arm and they got out of my way.

Dec 28, 14 6:12 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Yes and no.  Basically I coordinate the submittal sets, lead the design, etc.  But I rely on surveyors (replatting), civil engineers (drainage studies, roadway/utility design coordination), electrical engineers (like street lighting photometrics), landscape architects and potentially specialized lawyers in land use/water rights/etc. to generate things like HOA's, zoning language, covenants, etc.   Think of it as a construction drawing for land. 

It varies based on project.  Some, it's small like a Planned Unit Development zoning process.  To replatting... all the way up to sub-divisions with new roadways and infrastructure (which is a major pain btw..)

Dec 29, 14 12:00 pm  · 
 · 
edcole

There are other avenues for architects to work in other than the traditional architecture firm. Architects could work for the government. I work for District of Columbia, Department of Consumer and Regulator Affairs as an Engineer Coordinator and was hired because of my architecture background. The bulk of my work involves checking drawings submitted for permit for code compliance. Other government agencies of whom I have the pleasure of interacting with on a daily basis such as the  Department of Energy, Department of Transportation, District of Columbia Office of  Planning (most planning departments hire architects), Office of Zoning, and Other Offices within the Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs that runs all permits in the District of Columbia all are looking to hire candidates with architectural backgrounds. I believe the same is true for permit offices Nation wide.

Dec 30, 14 11:42 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: