Archinect
anchor

Help deciding on workstation for architecture

snavarro18

Hello, Im looking for a laptop that can run Rhino, Form Z, AutoCad, and Photoshop. Ive been reading through forums and now know the importance of a workstation gpu. I found these two laptops: M6800 and the Sager NP9377-S.
Here are the specs;
M6800:
i7-4910MQ
K4100M
256gb SSD
16gb memory

Sager:
i7-4710MQ
K5100M
750gb SSD + 1tb HDD
16bg Memory.

which one would be more beneficial? Or is there another laptop you'd recommend? I want this laptop to be able to run highly detailed 3d models without lagging. 4k is my budget. 
Thanks!

Dec 25, 14 11:53 pm
null pointer

I wish we had a sticky on the top of these boards - Choosing a computer? Go to reddit's r/BuildMeAPC. K Thanks.

Dec 26, 14 8:44 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

people still use form z?

Dec 26, 14 8:45 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Is anyone else not fazed by the $4,000 budget? What can't a person do with $4,000?

Dec 26, 14 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

no need to 750 gb ssd

Dec 26, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

ya, the problem with a $4k computer is that it's still going to be outdated in 5 years.  you might be able to spend $2K now and another $2k in a couple years, and ultimately you would end up with a better computer.

Dec 26, 14 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Both CPU and GPU are due for a die shrink and architectural design jump next year. Then there's stacked memory and higher core counts looming in the near future. $4,000 can pretty much cover a decades' worth of upgrades with careful planning.

I hope this isn't just for school projects and that work done is actually paid work.

Dec 26, 14 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Yeah I would cut that budget in half... Any gaming machine from alienware or asus will treat you well. Biggest problem with a new machine is windows 8... Which sucks balls big time. Capatibilty with the video card could be an issue so check that.

Dec 26, 14 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
cr8ve

Lenovo W540

Dec 29, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: