Archinect
anchor

Academic Architecture Portfolio Help

anaiira

Hi everyone!

I'm applying to grad school for the upcoming semester. I finished my portfolio a short while ago and I'd love to get some feedback before I send it off.

Also, as a somewhat tangential thing, what are your thoughts on double-page spreads on digital portfolios? A lot of portfolios that I look at are uploaded to issuu.com, which displays everything as a dps. Reading a graphic design portfolio that way makes sense sometimes, because sometimes you need it to feel like a magazine. But it doesn't really make that much sense to me for architecture, especially when it makes legibility difficult and you have to do some awkward zooming in?

Dec 19, 14 5:42 pm
bugsmetoo
  • If you're going with intersecting lines through boxes, don't let it go through objects (last page as example). It makes them look like leftover layout guides.
  • Don't use that thin font. It doesn't pair with whatever you 're using for the headers/titles.
  • It might be the layout compensating for printing bleeds but some things look off-center.
  • I don't think the grey bottom bar serves any purpose but it's your decision to keep or pull it.
  • There is a lot of small text and plenty of usable white space that can be better utilized. If you expect or need people to read something, increase the size--they won't all have enormous monitors and be likely to zoom or squint for every word.
Dec 19, 14 8:55 pm  · 
 · 
anaiira

@bugsmetoo: Thanks for the advice! I'm somewhat partial to my font choices, but it's good to know what other people think. I agree with you about the small text part -- it was something I was worried and thinking about, but I also was concerned with overburdening the portfolio.

Also, happy holidays all!

Dec 28, 14 8:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: