Archinect
anchor

power and data to desk from above

gruen

OK, doing a small office interiors project. No access to the floor below, so we need to drop power and data to some desks in the middle of the floor plate. The owner is OK with a cord(s) coming down from the ceiling - but of course I'd like it to look good. I can't find anything other than a garage type of retractable cord for power - does anyone know a similar device - with either a retractable cord, or curly cord that can carry power, data and phone? 

I can't even find a google search for something that's sorta what I'm looking for... 

Dec 16, 14 5:21 pm
proto

paint it white? or not...

Dec 16, 14 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

that's pretty, but only with power. I can get power reels all day long. I need one with data too...

Dec 16, 14 5:31 pm  · 
 · 
proto

i suspect it comes apart...

sparky should be able to convert it somewhat ok

Dec 16, 14 5:33 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Just enclose it and set up outlets at the enclosure. Wiring through the ceiling and through partitions/faux columns isn't that unusual.

Dec 16, 14 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Maybe I'll make up a drop with some flexible cable & fun zip ties and spring strain relief. they don't need to actually reel it out at this location.

And the cool orange ball can be used where they just need power...

Dec 16, 14 5:56 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

something like this is typical in office/workstation environments

it's not a rick-roll ;)

it's also not attractive.  i think the intent is to be not seen as much as possible.

Dec 16, 14 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid a power pole. I've used them before, but they aren't much fun. I've made something up and hopefully the electrician will work with me. 

Dec 16, 14 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

here is the best idea of all time.

go a head and use power poles but wrap them in white board so everybody can make cool drawings and snide remarks on them!

Dec 17, 14 3:54 am  · 
 · 
coffeessss

that's nice look. I think it very useful

Dec 17, 14 4:03 am  · 
 · 
proto

why not wifi?

Dec 17, 14 2:54 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

wifi power? Invent it and you'll be rich

Dec 17, 14 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

laser beams?

http://large.stanford.edu/courses/2010/ph240/ma1/

Dec 17, 14 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

Pedal power electric generators at each desk, WiFi internet, cellular telephone, all done.

You're welcome.

Dec 17, 14 5:26 pm  · 
 · 
proto

wifi power? Invent it and you'll be rich

i missed the boat already, microwave power transmission

Dec 18, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Looked at this once... didn't use it.  Medreel.  You can get power, teleco, cat 5, etc. in there.  Track systems too.  Didn't look too hard at it though for a school lab, but might be what you are looking for?

Dec 19, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

^ Have used this type of product in some limited, more functional contexts.  For flexibility, it's like a 10.  The down side was that feedback from clients indicated that the aesthetics were more like a 2...  the loose outlet box has the feeling of handed the end of an extension cord...  couple asked when they'd be getting permanent power/data?......

How many workstations are we talking about, Gruen?

Dec 19, 14 2:32 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

CAT5, mightyaa?   That's so two cable generations ago....  ;-)

Dec 19, 14 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
2 workstations = 1 drop
Dec 21, 14 12:47 pm  · 
 · 

Can you use a single central drop and branch from there? If so then you can make a "feature column", maybe a detailed cabinet / structure that houses network server, routers, etc., or maybe a sculptural element that acts as a wire chase.

Dec 21, 14 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Gruen -- just curious -- what'd you ever do with this?

Jan 9, 15 9:33 am  · 
 · 
gruen
Hasn't been built yet, but I basically said to do a flexible power wire (yellow) from the ceiling mtd j-box, run the cat6 wire alongside it, zip tie them together, have 2 steel j-boxes at the bottom, back to back. A spring strain relief at the top. We will see what the electrician says...
Jan 9, 15 10:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: