Archinect
anchor

Low Gre and CGPA.......chances to get admission in US

SHYR

Hi 

Any suggestions for this sort situation to get the admission chance?

Recently I have got my gre score and that was very poor. 148 in quant and 141 in verbal. also have low cgpa in the undergrad era. But I have a better portfolio, my only strength. (Actually the preparation was not that bad....studied for 1.5 months with consistency for the main GRE exam but the problem was feeling uncomfortable with exam hall..... Environmental Disorder).

As I said the portfolio is the only thing I can have and a good professional experience of 3 years, and I can also manage a decent Recommendation Letter from the teachers with a better SOP, does these things can ensure a chance of admission? If it is then which universities should I try for? 

Planning to apply for fall 2015. Any kind of suggestion would be highly appreciated.

P.S. I have few positive responses from few universities, mostly from the senior professors and even from the Chairman on the basis of my final year thesis project. Some of them actually were very good responses. 

Thanks

Dec 16, 14 11:12 am
bugsmetoo

Ever consider that maybe higher education just isn't for you?

Dec 16, 14 11:38 am  · 
 · 
Driko
Depends on where you want to go. Some schools like uiuc don't even require your GRE scores. I've heard it's more for scholarships and assistantship positions.
Dec 16, 14 11:48 am  · 
 · 
SHYR

Thanks a lot Driko. I have checked the website and it seems that they are focusing on the portfolio. Need to look forward. 

Yes I've also heard that Gre is for scholarships and assistantship, but how important it is for getting an admission? Because I've also heard about the minimum requirement of the Gre score matters. 

If Gre is really going to be the matter to get a chance of admission then need to take the exam one more time. 

Dec 17, 14 6:15 am  · 
 · 
SHYR

@bugsmetoo..........yeah I've considered my-self. But still trying to improve the admission materials and will take the Gre exam one more time if it is really going to be a matter. 

Dec 17, 14 6:19 am  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

I should clear that I didn't say my last comment to be spiteful. You have experience, you probably would be better off leveraging that instead of spending more time in school. Unless licensure depends on further education, why waste time and money on an endeavor that'll set you back? 

Dec 17, 14 1:19 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

So that's around the 40th and 20th percentiles respectively. That is a bit rough. I'm always inclined to think you don't need good GRE scores to get in almost anywhere, but having bad ones might hurt your chances, not just your scholarships.

Additionally, if you think you have a strong portfolio, great. However, it is much easier to have a good GPA and a weak portfolio than the other way around, so I tend to be skeptical.

That said, a lot of architecture schools are more than willing to accept you if you can pay the tuition.

Dec 17, 14 8:37 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I agree with natematt. Also depends on the school. I would think the ivies might care about Gre. So It depends on where you apply.
Dec 17, 14 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Let's see your portfolio. Hopefully it's excellent.

Dec 18, 14 2:33 am  · 
 · 
SHYR

Thanks natematt.

I have selected few universities and they are not asking for the GRE.......hope that does matter......

I am not looking for a very high ranked university.....I don have the material for them. So looking for a mid range university where can i have a hope to get a chance. 

Dec 18, 14 3:13 am  · 
 · 
SHYR

@bugsmetoo...........i am agreeing with you.But right now I am not considering the higher degree as a waste of time and money. It is an investment to me for future. you can say that.

Dec 18, 14 3:18 am  · 
 · 
SHYR

@placebeyondthesplines......i will upload it for you......but right now im working on it because the deadlines are near and need to finish the additional works. After all this things i am going to take a chance at least. so once i get finish with these stuffs i will upload it for you. Thanks for asking. :) 

Dec 18, 14 3:22 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: