Archinect
anchor

Critical regionalism & regionalism

suvho123

What is the difference between critical regionalism & regionalism?

Dec 16, 14 11:12 am
citizen

"Critical" as a modifying term is typically added by a later generation of folks seeking to challenge the assumptions and actions made by an earlier generation.

Dec 16, 14 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

is that a form of hipster regionalism?

Dec 16, 14 11:34 am  · 
 · 
citizen

^  P.S.  It's often spoken or written with an air of condescension that only ahistoric, 20/20 hindsight can bring.

Dec 16, 14 11:36 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

It's like thinking.  Thinking is no longer enough -- critical thinking is now required.

Dec 16, 14 11:46 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

so modern.

Dec 16, 14 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

^ don't you mean critically modern?

Dec 16, 14 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I meant it ironically. I was critically critical before critical was modern. It's also lunch time and I am critically hungry.

Dec 16, 14 12:07 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Don't forget post-critical. 

Dec 16, 14 12:26 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it was critical for you to clarify that non sequitur

i'm a fan neo-post-critical revival

Dec 16, 14 12:58 pm  · 
 · 

You guys are so passe, it's para-critical now.

In no way should this be confused with parasitical.

Dec 16, 14 1:15 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

But what about meta?

Dec 16, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
Alien 8

Curt, could you be more specific?

Dec 16, 14 1:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

more specific about neo-post-critical revival, or about non sequitur's critical clarifications?

Dec 16, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
Alien 8

Yes.

Dec 16, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think non sequitur was phrasing his critically hungry statements from a post-rationalized perspective reminiscent of the post-critical school, which lacked the nuance of the critical thinking more common in the neo-post-critical movement. 

we need a revival of the neo-post-critical to bring back the critical thinking applied by their more traditional approach to critical thinking.  that's what the public wants.  just ask old people.

Dec 16, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Critical Regionalism usually refers specifically to the aesthetic (not appeareanc) proposed by Kenneth Frampton in his essay "Towards a Critical Regionalism".  It's more useful when considered as a practice (a way of thinking and making based on local culture and economics ) than a retroactive category applied to things in the same place that have typological or visual similarity (New Mexican, Danish Modern).  Frampton thought it had political potential that might allow geographically based cultures to resist the ostensibly homogenizing forces of global capital.  To what extent any of this is true or useful is up for debate.  Probably you outta read the essay.

Dec 16, 14 2:19 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: