Archinect
anchor

Portfolio review

21pieces

Hi everyone, I'm putting my portfolio draft out here for some constructive criticism and feedback... I'm applying to UBC M.Arch and I come from an econ/bio background. Any advice on layout and how interesting the content would be to the admissions team would be very helpful. Its my first time putting something like this together, so thanks in advance! http://issuu.com/ccynthia/docs/cynthiaportfolio_8fc0d0385ade17/1

Dec 16, 14 3:48 am
bugsmetoo

I'm not feeling the font choice or layout of text. For monospace, check for alignment and consistent justification without the center-weighted stuff that looks off and messy. If you make typography part of your design, better nail it.

Is it interesting? Not really. Can't tell anything about you or why architecture instead of photography or fashion design or whatever.

Dec 16, 14 4:32 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

for an eco/bio background- nice content ;)

Dec 16, 14 9:31 am  · 
 · 
Scott Deisher

you have a typo in your first paragraph under photography (you spelled "have" "havev")

Dec 16, 14 9:50 am  · 
 · 
21pieces

@bugsmetoo- Thanks for the formatting advice. As for content, what type of work would they rather see? I was advised not to try and create architecture-related content for the sake of the application since its not my background... So I'm a little lost @BulgarBlogger and @skdeish- Thank you

Dec 16, 14 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

The only thing your portfolio tells is that you take photos and make fashion goods. So for someone that needs to assess whether you have spatial thinking skills or a moldable grasp of design needed for graduate school, they would need something more revealing. 

Visually, it looks like a plaintext file. If that's the aesthetic you are going for, the images have to be lasting and strong. 

Dec 16, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
21pieces

Okay I see what you mean , thank you. The portfolio needs to be in print and I'm only familiar with basic InDesign hence the simple layout. Would you suggest I take out some of my photos? Which are the weakest ones in your opinion?

Dec 16, 14 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Very boring and the type is horrible.

Dec 16, 14 5:53 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

^ Maybe this is all the talent this candidate has? Who knows? 

Dec 16, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
21pieces

Lol well thanks for the honesty I guess

Dec 16, 14 6:18 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Basic or advanced inDesign is irrelevant. Since you decided on the layout and font choice which I'm sure does not default to that one, you're responsible for the current outcome. Can't tell what font that is (I assume generic Courier) but there are some better options that increase readability and contrast. Source Code Sans or Courier Prime are alternatives. The Vignelli Canon is free online.

As for content, you have to decide. I mentioned in your last thread that photographs don't capture much design skills at all. Visual composition, sure, but then that skill applies to many fields and may not translate well into architecture depending on how it's fostered. 

From UBC's site:

"A portfolio of work is required that demonstrates aptitude and experience in creative endeavors. This should include significant evidence of two and three dimensional skills and thinking."

I wouldn't be so fixated on the creative endeavors. Spatial abilities matter even if they vaguely state it. You still have a few weeks to do or assemble something that significantly demonstrates such attributes. Someone probably told you not to create some monstrosity in CAD or Sketchup but do show some interest in architecture.

The process isn't about discovering raw talent or luring some misguided genius out of the sciences. What can you do, can you manage in school, and is there room for growth in time--you kind of answered the first one but I don't see much on the other two.

Dec 16, 14 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

@bulgarblogger

I'm sure that's exactly the situation. Can't imagine any respectable program accepting this portfolio.

@21pieces

Do you want to be seen as an adult, or an obnoxious teenager? If the former, don't say 'lol.' 

The kind of people who say that shit are the kind that get eaten alive by architecture school.

Dec 16, 14 10:19 pm  · 
 · 

^ Did this person kill a family member of yours? Take it easy. I say 'lol' in casual conversation and I certainly didn't get eaten alive.

I'm not really sure what M.Arch programs look for in non-architecture related backgrounds, but I think you should do some searching on issuu for architecture portfolios for some inspiration. Is the good work itself good enough to get in? Maybe, like I said I honestly don't know what they'll be looking for. But I think you can be more creative with the layout and how the work is presented.

Dec 16, 14 11:12 pm  · 
 · 
21pieces

@placebeyondthesplines- Just trying to keep it chill, I know how "lol" and "chill" make me sound. Judging from your posts and language though can't say I value your opinion.. I posted here for suggestions for improvement - I've already started this application so Im going to have to complete it no matter how bad it is. Thanks @bugsmetoo and Alex for being helpful, I appreciate it.

Dec 16, 14 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

Enjoy your time at whatever for-profit program wastes their time on you.

Dec 17, 14 1:27 am  · 
 · 
larslarson

placebeyondthesplines..why do you feel the need to be such an absolute prick?

21 pieces...A couple thoughts about your portfolio.  The text is a bit much...there's no rhyme or reason to where it's placed and if you changed the font it would look better.  Plus the size of the text seems bigger than needed on most pages.  I'd also format the pages so that they look more similar...or at least make each project similar so that there's a cohesive whole.  I think your photos are good..and the bag and shirt are too.  I'd focus on showing the process of making those pieces...do you have more fashion pieces?  If I were to judge your portfolio I'd want to see what you value in design and your process if possible.  The portraits and the still life are the weakest part IMO.  I'd consider getting rid of those.

Dec 17, 14 2:46 am  · 
 · 
midlander

@OP, honestly I don't know how competitive UBC is or what kinds of things admissions look for in prospects from non-arch backgrounds. But I feel like you have some good material to start with here. You just need to make this more focused.

The biggest question I would have looking at your portfolio is: why architecture? You show graphic skills and talent in design, but only a few of the photos are focused on buildings, cities or spaces. Not saying you need to have building designs, but a focused selection of photos or drawings of places would help show something about why you are interested in architecture. 

But first, your portfolio should show some sense of your potential as a designer. Your fashion designs actually are quite relevant for this - I think you should put them at the beginning. If you have more, add them. If you did studies or made stuff that didn't work out, include it with an explanation what you learned from the process. Your sketches are great - they really show some thought about constructing a design - make them bigger. Also, improve your descriptions. Try to explain WHY you developed this design the way you did - what qualities were you trying to develop in the bag and the blouse.

With the photos, it's hard to see any "point of view" in what you've presented. They kind of show a random selection of different scenes. If you have more photos to choose from, try to select a group with some sort of theme - urban places, buildings in nature, Asian architecture - anything really that interests you about architecture. With photos, it's hard to judge the photographer except when there are lots of images. And include a description of what you think about when you photograph a place, what qualities you are trying to capture in the images.

The drawing of the Korean building is interesting. If you have more photos, try to expand this into a presentation about this building type, what its used for, why the architecture was built this way. This could be another strong part of your portfolio.

Your drawings and paintings are fine, but not so interesting. Keep a few portraits in to show you have hand sketching skills. If you have some drawings that show a point of view about architecture or places, add those. Otherwise maybe just the 2 portraits and the art deco composition, which is kind of clever.

Don't get hung up on the font. Seriously, admissions committees know you're not a graphic designer. Just use Arial or something plain unless you have some interesting idea that requires a different font.

Anyway, my main point is find a way to show your point of view, and demonstrate you have an interest in architecture, not just graphic skills. I think you're close, just needs more editing.

Good luck!

Dec 17, 14 3:58 am  · 
 · 
coffeessss

an eco/bio background is nice

Dec 17, 14 4:42 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

21pieces, I remember applying to UBC many moons ago for graduate school. I was accepted but declined since it was only my second choice programme.

Anyways, the programme is very competitive as one would expect and I don't think your portfolio as it stands demonstrates the raw qualities admissions are looking for. Remember, they see thousands of applicants in a very short period of time, if your work does not stand out, it will be discarded.

With that said, a few comments:

Everyone considers themselves photographers if they own a DSLR and unless you're shooting 35mm film and processing it yourself (which I think I see an example of) or have won photography awards, best to move (and minimize) them to the back of the portfolio; although I would totally hang a large format copy of that rail-car/heliport picture in my house if that helps.

Loose those portrait drawings. Perhaps consider taking a few hours and doing some good urban sketches of your neighbourhood instead. Drawings like those I describe have the ability to show how the applicant understands perspective, light/shadow and scale. One pet-peeve I've always had with portfolios is the "image framing" of the work. Loose the white frame around images and extend to a full bleed. This will make whatever sketch or picture much more appealing than a 2"x4" little square in a sea of white. A little page composition will help big-time.

I have no issue with the font... that's the designer in us here reacting. I've known a few academics who prefer the type-writer font. Better than Helvetica...

One last thing, your Canvas bag creation is a strong item, move it to the front of the portfolio.

Dec 17, 14 7:35 am  · 
 · 
21pieces

Thanks everyone for the input. It changed my perspective and I'll be redoing the whole thing.

Dec 18, 14 1:36 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

That's good to hear. You really will be better off, and it's encouraging to see that you can take criticism from more experienced people without getting overly defensive. Maybe I misjudged your potential. I apologize.

Dec 18, 14 2:42 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: