Archinect
anchor

I sign for the firm I'm working for...should I get more?

yEAh

My company is a contractor initially but when I joined the company, we became a design and build studio. I'm the only Architect in the firm so I sign the drawings and documents for approval. The thing is, this wasn't even in my job description and in the negotiation when I joined the company. Now, they're using me for the renewal of the trade license of the company since the law here requires the company to have an Architect for doing arch'l and interior design works. In short, they didn't even ask if it's okay with me to do so. 

Now, my performance review is coming up and I wanna open up these topics to my employer. I also think I deserve to be compensated more, besides the mandatory raise after the probationary period since I'm the signatory and the fact that I'm attached to the company's license is a big deal!

How do you guys suggest I go with this? A bonus? a significant raise? 

Dec 14, 14 3:16 pm
null pointer

Percentage of profit.

Especially if you're in a personal professional liability state.

Dec 14, 14 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

what type of work and where are you?

typically a contractors license allows one to design anything that they will be building themselves. 

Dec 14, 14 3:35 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

and why would an architect be required to renew a contractors license?  how did they get it in the first place?  seems fishy like they are trying to use you as a liability dump. 

Dec 14, 14 3:37 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

In my area, an architecture firm must have be at least 51 percent owned by a licenced architect. Your state may have similar requirements, certainly worth looking into

Dec 14, 14 4:23 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I think both a significant raise and ownership should be on the table. Some of the grownups on the site may have more insight. Let us know the outcome though

Dec 14, 14 4:25 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

let's assume you will live another 75 years, in addition to making you a partner to get a percentage they need to guarantee a lifetime of covering your insurance and lawyers hired outside of insurance claims.

so roughly speaking based on current rates, a few lawsuits, millions in construction by lifetime figure - $2,000,000 upfront or over the time. This number is based on my current rate versus someone who has been practicing 40 years (nearly 20 times my rate now, has had lawsuits)

In short, ask them to GUARANTEE your professional liability insurance and claims for all projects forever.

Dec 14, 14 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

holy shit...I hope the company carries a liability policy for your stamp...A fucking licensed architect being some contractors bitch.  Sack up, if you are licensed, stamping on work for construction you should be a partner minimum, not pussyfooting around about asking for a raise.  Amazing to me how we devalue our profession so much.  Sounds like you are getting the short end of the stick.  

Dec 14, 14 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

50% ownership or $2 mil or WALK AWAY!

DUDE you need to quit, right now.

your license is a drug, they need the drug, you owe them nothing - make them pay!

don't mind the bullshit - contractors and family - that's how they roll.  make you feel like family and then shit on you.

Dec 14, 14 7:13 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Man, this is a tough one….got in drawing stuff now you are stamping things? Changes everything….at a minimum they need to pay for your liability insurance….other than that really it just gives you a “solid” locking in your job…..don’t know your age or experience but think that just getting the insurance paid and a signed agreement that they will cover the deductible is enough this year. As things progress and grow I would squeeze them for more.

Dec 14, 14 9:56 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You should verify that the insurance is with a quality insurer and that it is in force. You need your copy of the policy in your files at home. And a written statement saying they will pay the deducible as stated above.

Dec 14, 14 11:21 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Yes you should.  You have a few points.  If you are the only architect on staff, you have them bent over.  Because your name is on the drawings, you carry the same risk as the principals of the firm to be named in a lawsuit.  Don't do it heavy handed or like a ultimatium.  Basically just remind them that you are a essential employee of the firm and your salary compensation should be higher than just a regular architect working for a architecture firm where others assume the liability and stamp the drawings and you wouldn't be as indispensable to them as you are here at this job. 

Dec 15, 14 10:24 am  · 
 · 

You should be a partner, minimum. I always tell my ProPrac students you do not stamp anything, ever, unless you are a partner.

The Archinect Sessions podcast is introducing a new "ask a lawyer" segment (we haven't officially titled it). The first episode with him is the one linked here - he discusses unpaid labor.  You can use the #archinectsessions hashtag to ask him to address specific topics - sounds like the OP here would do well to try to get some legal advice.

Dec 15, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
yEAh

Wow! I'm overwhelmed by the response here. As most of these are helpful but it might change according to the location. I'm working in Dubai, UAE right now and this is how things work here. To put things into perspective, we do mostly interior works. 

They made me take 2 licenses when I arrived here (Interior and Building Maintenance) and now they're using my licenses to add to their services. Basically, there are categories of services they can provide as long as you have someone who's qualified and approved by the authorities. 

I don't have any idea how much I should be compensated with these added responsibilities. When I blurted out the word "partnership" my general manager quickly shrugged off the idea and indicated that he's not up to it in an indirect way. I wanted to quit but can't since I'm tied in a 2 year contract and it's only my 7th month. Lucky me! : ( I have 4+ yrs experience but they pay me like an entry level architect (in Dubai). I know my situation is not the best but I have to know how to deal with it especially this trade license thing.

Dec 15, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 

Sounds like that TV show where the drop off navy seals in the most inhospitable places with nothing but a bottle opener and a broken golf club. In other words, Dude, you're screwed.

Dec 15, 14 3:08 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

lol Miles+++

Yeah that sucks man.  I would do a really shit job and hope to get fired or just bail on the contract and flee the country lol.  Just start designing really gay interiors...they probably don't like that kinda thing in the UAE. 

Dec 15, 14 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I would walk, unless you are one their notorious indentured servants.  

Dec 15, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

GTFO. Now.

Dec 15, 14 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

You need some real lawyer's advice.  Professional liability insurance and indemnification agreement from the employer for sure.  I would look before you leap regarding any kind of partnership.  A partnership is going to put you in the chain of liability for anything the firm does.  Better make real sure you have a comfort level with what the firm does and might be liable for.  You shouldn't have started in stamping things without getting some of this ironed out, but you need to get a handle on it now before going forward.

Dec 15, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 

UAE law is entirely different than anything we are accustomed to. I suspect that as an employee he is covered by the firm, or that he is completely responsible and they routinely implement Hammurabi's code.

Dec 15, 14 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

Hmmm ... what an interesting thread. yEAh, you don't seem to have very many viable options, given the 2-year contract. A few questions, however:

a) What does your contract, or your job description, say about your responsibilities? Does it state explicitly that you will be required to stamp drawings? If not, then perhaps you're under no ongoing obligation to continue doing so -- that might give you some leverage.

b. Before accepting the job, were you ever told - verbally or otherwise - you would be required to stamp drawings? If not, and they are making you do that now, perhaps that unilateral change would be grounds for invalidating the contract.

c. Why would you want to be a partner of this firm?  Doesn't sound to me like these are people you necessarily can trust -- and, in a partnership, trust is paramount.

If you want to stay with this firm, I tend to think your best course of action is to pursue higher compensation -- by that I mean SIGNIFICANTLY higher compensation -- to offset (to some degree) the risks you are accepting on their behalf.

If that goes nowhere, then perhaps you can bargain for some sort of  iron-clad "indemnification agreement" whereby the firm accepts all legal and financial responsibility for decisions you make in good faith (I doubt they will indemnify you for your own negligence). Be absolutely sure an attorney who represents YOUR interests signs off on this agreement before you sign it.

Based on what you have told us, you clearly seem to be in a precarious situation, both legally and financially. I think you need some competent legal advice to guide you through this minefield. It will be expensive, but such advice will look cheap compared to the potential risks you are likely to face if this problem is not resolved.

Good luck.

Dec 15, 14 7:27 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

I wanted to quit but can't since I'm tied in a 2 year contract and it's only my 7th month

What is the nature of this contract?

Dec 16, 14 9:43 am  · 
 · 
toasteroven

are you a foreign national?  I'm really curious how licensing works in the UAE.

Dec 16, 14 9:57 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

If you had a legal contract written by the best minds in the legal world it would not be worth the paper it was on. You are in a dictatorship where the opinion of the head islamic weenie is the law. Get out.

Dec 16, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Had a friend of mine back in the ‘80’s get some projects in Saudi Arabia and opened a small office right on a street….got into a dispute over something and was trying to settle things then one day a van pulled up in front of the office – 2 guys got out, came into the office and took his file cabinets out with hand carts without saying a word. 

Dec 16, 14 12:41 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

from wikipedia, it looks like you can be deported for kissing in public.  you might want to avoid trying that if you're female or homosexual though.

i would be nervous there as a foreigner trying to hold a job.  if you can provide more insight into your perspective, i'd appreciate hearing it.

here are my interview questions if you're in a mood to answer

are you an expat?

where were you originally from?

does your race or religion seem to play a part in what's available to you?

what sort of mobility do you have?  for example, can you get a different job?  can you up and run away to bahrain or something if you wanted to?

Dec 16, 14 12:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

This would make a great episode of Locked Up Abroad.

Architect attempts to flee contract by kissing a dude in the street and gets thrown in jail for being gay.

Dec 16, 14 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
coffeessss

I like classical  music, if the other song is good song, then I like it too

Dec 17, 14 4:15 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

coffeeessss, good point

Dec 18, 14 12:54 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

I'm flabbergasted by some comments here. I have been living here for 8 mos. already. I know what is acceptable to do in the public or not. 

I'm in my mid 20s and yes I'm an expat from SE Asia. I don't like working here or maybe it's just the company I'm with. Other good firms here really do good work. I don't plan on staying here for long (with my current employer) as I want to move to a better firm. I just need to find one right now. I wanted to see if the company would get better but even though, I'm not sure it's up to my standard. They're a bit of a liar to be honest.

I have an unlimited contract, which has a minimum of 2 years service. No way it is indicated in any of my contracts (I signed on 3!) that I will be a signatory for the drawings. I know I'm in a terrible situation and I'm eager to handle this properly and maybe move on to another place.

Thanks for all the advices especially the liability insurance. Reading all of the comments, I think I really need to talk to a lawyer.

Jan 4, 15 4:04 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

I assume you could just sign George Washington and no one would even second guess it.

Since your not contracted to sign your name to anything you could use another name.

It might create for an interesting  law suite....dead man who is the first president  comes back to life in Dubai and is an Architect.

Just Kidding Dude.....get some legal advice....If you are doing things not related to your contract which leave you legally exposed. (with your pants down) , get the heck out of that office asap.  Or have them step up and pay you accordingly and be sure they are carrying some sort of  insurance that covers your ass and it is current. You should also request the insurance company directly contact you if they cease to carry the insurance.  You don't want them to cancel the policy after you sign for projects.

Jan 4, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 

Take a vacation home and don't come back.

Jan 4, 15 5:10 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: