Archinect
anchor

Is it ok to mention what firm I want to work for in the m.arch statement of purpose?

projecttocplane

for example, i'd like to work in such and such field, so i'd like to work at _____ after i graduate.

Dec 14, 14 7:46 am
awaiting_deletion

no.  mention the projects you like and why you like them theoretically.  working with people is much different then liking someone's work, unless of course you know the principles of the firm already....which of course the school will wonder why you are going to school the, if- say you're buddies with Rem Koolhaas already.

Dec 14, 14 8:48 am  · 
 · 
projecttocplane

Well, some firms do post their principles and characteristics on their website, however broad they may be.

So I can say something like, "I have had in mind a career goal of working at a research-oriented design studio like ________, to be part of a project that....."

Dec 14, 14 8:54 am  · 
 · 
midlander

academics don't really like to be reminded that they are just means to an end for most students...

Dec 14, 14 9:09 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

agree with midlander.  another way to put what you're really saying....you are essentially suggesting you would like to do this type of work and you hope the school does that type of work or can help you do that type of work.  mentioning an actual person or firm you only know by reading what they put on a website says a lot more negative things than positive. just because I read the wikipedia page on Bill Clinton, does not mean I know him or could even successfully work for him.

Dec 14, 14 9:39 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: