Archinect
anchor

DWG or Layered PDF into Illustrator CC 2014

opdop1

So here is what I am trying to do:

I would like to import a dwg or layered pdf into illustrator, maintaining layers and all of the information within.

The problems I am encountering differ depending on the method used.

Naturally, AI reads dwgs just fine and opens the file up accordingly. However, all lineweights, linetypes, etc are either lost or skewed regardless of scale factor entered upon import. 

The PDF method comes in perfectly clean, however I can not find a way (if there is one) to maintain the layer names and layer information from the pdf.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 10, 14 5:07 pm
SiameseDream

I always keep layer structures in AI as minimum as possible especially when dealing with dwg. I'm not too sure why you would want to keep all the layer's information in the AI , as (i assume) you already have that organized in Cad. 

In Rhino/Acad, I normally put layers that have the same lineweight or linetype in the same color so they can be easily selected and adjusted in AI.

Dec 10, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 
Center for Ants

With the PDF method, the problem is that the PDF layers generated by AutoCAD are in a native PDF layer format which is completely different from the layers in an AI file. The editable PDFs you generate in AI are still based on an AI layer format (which is why they don't show up in Acrobat). I contacted Adobe directly about this some time ago and this was their response. I think it's a vestige of the PDF and AI formats being merged together but retaining some of their fundamental differences.

One method I use is to export to PDF w/o a CTB in place. Then you get your lines w/ the color of the layer they're on. If you're drafting with a CTB so layer color = lineweight, you can select in illustrator under select>same>stroke color and get e.g. all your cyan lines, move them to a new layer, and assign a color and lineweight.

Hatches tend to get a bit wonky, so maybe change layer color to something unique and special so you can turn it off/on easily.

Unfort, there's not an easy method that doesn't involve some manual work on your part. At least none that I've found.

Dec 12, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: