Archinect
anchor

Immigrate without bachelor's degree

lucas.g

Hi everybody! I'll make this as simple as I can.

I'm studying Architecture in Argentina, with 3 more years left to get my degree. Now I have most of the knowledge I could get with the degree, or more because I worked for 3 years in my father's construction company. I'm now planning on working in an architecture firm for the rest of my time here in Argentina.

In 3 or 4 years I would like to move to the US or Canada to live and work there permanently. The thing is that I don't know if it's better for me to stay in Architecture until I get my degree, or to leave the School of Architecture and start studying something else (interior design, graphic design, learn other software, etc).

I have doubts about getting my degree because it's not valid anywhere else, so I'll have to revalidate it and, for what I've read, that may take like 5 years and an important sum of money. And I plan on working in a big firm, I'm not interested in working on my own.

So, if I look for a job, having a not valid degree is better than not having it but with more knowledge and experience?

I would appreciate your help. Thank you for your time, Lucas Galucci

Dec 10, 14 4:45 pm
Non Sequitur

You need an accredited architecture degree if you want to make it anywhere. Without it, no one will take a look at you, specially given the already huge pool of qualified graduate students looking for that elusive big-office job.

See if you can transfer any existing academic credits to an American or Canadian school and complete your degree in the jurisdiction you would eventually prefer to live and work. 

Dec 10, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 
archmart

I would finish your degree. What do you have to lose? You are staying 4 more years so by then you should be done. College is very expensive in the U.S.  If you are going to the UBA, it has a pretty good curriculum and is comparable to a NAAB accredited degree....  You will at least have to take the English Composition course. You have to go through EESA first to get the equivalency: https://www.eesa-naab.org/. Check www.ncarb.org as well and you will find all the information you need to become a licensed Architect in the US.

Dec 12, 14 2:05 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

My play would be: Get your degree. Go to grad school in the states at a program that caters to people without a professional degree. Get good grades now. Don't fuck up. People who tell you have to start from scratch and enter a 5 year program upon getting to the states have no idea what they're talking about.

Dec 12, 14 10:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: