Archinect
anchor

architect to be needs help regarding the blank sheet

theagtm

Hi there! I am a second year Architecture student, at Lisbon, Portugal.

I have a project due in 3 weeks and I really need all the help i can get. I need ideas. PLEASE. 

I must project a surf hostel and a surf school, leisure pools (adults and kids), a scuba learning pool, and a scuba school. All this on a very small beach (praia da bafureira - S Pedro do Estoril - Portugal)

Please help me...I've never dealt with so much difficulties regarding a project.

All ideas are appreciated!!!

Dec 9, 14 11:05 am
SneakyPete

No.

Dec 9, 14 11:26 am  · 
 · 
theagtm

Ok. Why is that?

Dec 9, 14 11:28 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

theagtm, sounds like you've got everything you need. Just design a surfing themed hostel/school/spa combo.

Done.

Dec 9, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 
theagtm

I have had various ideas, but my teacher says I lack unity as a whole...

Dec 9, 14 11:31 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

"I have had various ideas, but my teacher says I lack unity as a whole..."

I think I got very similar criticism from teachers.  Something about "the whole"....or I think maybe it was "A-whole"...? But I'm almost positive what they said was probably spelled differently.

Dec 9, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 

Consulting starts at $250 an hour plus expenses. 

Dec 9, 14 11:40 am  · 
 · 
theagtm

The whole, the total, the project as one, as an unity, the similarity of the parts...always the same problem :(

Dec 9, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
theagtm

$250 an hour? I thought Architects didnt make very good money xD

Dec 9, 14 11:50 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Miles, one day someone here will take you up on that offer.

Dec 9, 14 11:51 am  · 
 · 

Better raise my rates now.

Dec 9, 14 12:36 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Architects? Who said anything about architects? This forum is for the discussion of pirate themed building toys.

http://www.knex.com/shop/16616/pirate-ship-park-/m/

Dec 9, 14 1:22 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

You're supposed to be confused.  Its done to weed out the idiots.  Look around if everyone is working and you aren't, well.....

Dec 9, 14 5:00 pm  · 
 · 

OK. I'll try to give some actual advice.

You need to get something down on paper.  Anything, any scheme that you can lay out entirely in plan and have a few sketches of your elevation ideas.  If your teacher has nothing to respond to, there is nothing to have a conversation about and s/he won't be able to help you.  Even if you DON'T like what your'e drawing, draw it - then print it out, look at it from afar, and figure out why you don't like it, or if there is some small aspect of it that you DO like.  If so, develop that.

Not every design project is going to be successful, but the whole point is that you LEARN something.  If you put a terrible design on the board, and the reviewers tell you it's terrible, respectfully ask them why it's bad and how they suggest you improve.  The entire point of being in school is to learn.  Sometimes to learn we have to fail, which is a great way to learn Just try to fail quickly: draw stuff up quickly, even if you don't like it, and get feedback, then keep moving.

Kahn said you have to approach the blank sheet with joy. Find the joy in some small aspect of the project and go with it.  This too shall pass, and as long as you've learned something from it you'll be fine.  I had a friend in undergrad who designed a surf hostel in Hawaii.  All his drawings were black lines on bright yellow canary trace paper with bright blue prismacolor for sea and sky. They were so evocative of the beach and the style of living he was going for that everyone looked at his design and smiled - even though there wasn't a whole lot of "design" there.  

Dec 9, 14 5:20 pm  · 
 · 

you might consider the space between

it does not matter where you start, just start

Dec 9, 14 11:33 pm  · 
 · 
theagtm

Donna Sink thank you so much for your advice :) It really helped! thanks a lot

Dec 10, 14 9:03 am  · 
 · 
vado retro

its all about water, right? research water. dihydrogen oxide. break it down to the molecular. research the properties of water. develop a concept based on that and design the mother fucker. if they don't like the concept, screw them because it cannot be argued against as it is a strong unifying concept. go do it. now.

Dec 10, 14 10:06 am  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Here's an old project but still one of my favorites, it's by Alvaro Siza - Leça Swimming Pools. Maybe this can give you some ideas about fitting into the landscape.

http://www.archdaily.com/150272/ad-classics-leca-swimming-pools-alvaro-siza/. 

Dec 10, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
theagtm

Yeah I know that project, but our teachers said no elements from it should be used, because it was used as an example...still thank you so much  :)

Dec 11, 14 5:59 pm  · 
 · 
theagtm

The idea about breaking the water concept is also good but I struggle with (how can I explain this) putting my thoughts on paper and it's even harder for me to put them on 3d...Using sferical forms may be a challenge concerning that, still it's something i'll have in mind, for the scuba school mainly. thanks !

Dec 11, 14 6:01 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Landscape architect here...this might be too general, but here is what I do..

I used to think design started when I put pen to paper. I would suggest starting by deliberately avoiding drawing anything for, say, the next few days. Try to engage some of your studio mates, professors, friends, and parents in strictly verbal conversation--make lots of notes, make lists, write a thesis or narrative, but avoid drawing right away.

usually when I let the concept incubate in my mind for a while, starting feels so much more natural. That's when drawing can become process. I worked solo in isolation in my own small studio for a couple years. I would always draw furiously, like a sculptor chipping away stone. When my current partner joined me in the studio, I found that 10 minutes of conversation prior to putting pen to paper tended to save me hours spinning my wheels. You might be surprised how much you can accomplish and contain in your mind. The problem with our allied professions is that we often feel pressured to deliver a product, in most cases a set of drawings-- the creative tension we build up  between the time we are briefed on the project and when we deliver can hinder productivity. We can become anxious that we might not find the right solution--design can feel so much like a series of leaps of intuition.

Next:

1. Start with what you know--what are the opportunities and constraints. I see way too many architects disregard topography, existing veg, views, etc..

2. Develop your program, diagram relationships

3. Diagram circulation.

4. Don't be afraid to walk away

5. Have faith in an idea--when you feel you're getting close, try to finish the concept before starting anew one.

6. Finish a concept with time to spare--live with it for a day. Chances are you'll overlay it and take the concept from pedestrian to inspired.

just my two cents..of course I forgot number 7. everyone will have their own process.

Dec 12, 14 12:00 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Fail quickly--flw...agreed. Donna makes good points. I would say fail quickly, but don't be in too much of a rush to draw right away. Allow some space for the thoughts and ideas and understanding of the site to incubate.

Dec 12, 14 12:08 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: