Archinect
anchor

Can Autodesk certifications help me as architect?

green man

I am a student ,i plan to do some autodesk cetififcation in an autodesk center.How can it be usefull for me,can it help me to get a better work?

Dec 9, 14 2:53 am
midlander

I've never heard of anyone getting hired based on certifications. If you really don't know how to use the software maybe it can help you - but you'll need portfolio projects that show you can use the software too. If you're still in school just learn the software and use it for your schoolwork - that matters more than anything else.

For getting most jobs these 3 things matter, usually in this order:
1. Personal connections who know you + your work (can be professors, classmates, former bosses, people you meet at networking events)
2. Previous work experience (internships included)
3. Portfolio

Dec 9, 14 3:05 am  · 
 · 
green man

So be it,i know how to use softwares,but i'd rather learning them again in an autodesk center.It is not like learning by myself,it is like learning how to do things in the good way,as the software's creators decided and not because i nevertheless succed to do them.I will improve better and especially fastly.

Dec 9, 14 2:12 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

you're not really learning with the software creator, you're learning with a reseller

also, the software's creators don't do a very good job of software.

on the other hand, by going to their center you will probably be able to learn the software by putting time into it, and learning another skill is not a bad thing, so good luck.

Dec 9, 14 2:33 pm  · 
 · 
edcole

I think certifications can add value, depends on what you want to get into - how you want to run your professional life. Midlander has said much about how to get employed at an architecture firm. I don't work in a traditional architecture firm any more, I used to work for a number of small offices in Washington, DC and Baltimore - 8 years experience in architecture firms. I now work for the District of Columbia Government. I am working to start my own practice with a friend doing Zero Energy/ Passive buildings. I am currently doing a self certification with Autodesk in building analysis - Building Performance Analysis Certificate. I am 40% the way. So far the studies have been compliment to my LEED green Associate. I plan on moving on ahead with a LEED AP in Building Design and Construction. As well as ARE which I started to study for. I believe good design can be sustainable, I don't often see sustainability and design going hand to hand.

Jan 1, 15 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

NO.

Certifications, especially autodesk based, are for turds in corporate offices that have the company money and time to sit through long, boring, seminars to add some meaningless title/certification to their name.  None of these certifications mean you are proficient at the software, it just means you had a bunch of money to waste to sit through some shitty class and unfortunately never really apply what you learned in any real project scenario.   

Jan 1, 15 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
edcole

Autodesk - Building Performance Analysis Certificate is free of charge  - http://sustainabilityworkshop.autodesk.com/bpac

Jan 1, 15 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

la de da....

Jan 1, 15 7:51 pm  · 
 · 
Narcus

Nope. There was a guy in my class who tried to buff up his resume, using these certificates. I dont think it has any positive effect. 

Jan 3, 15 8:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: