Archinect
anchor

Gensler Internship: Please HELP!

Hi guys!

These days I applied for spring intern at Gensler. Fortunately I was contacted and I have an interview the next week. It is my first time applying for an internship and obviously the first time I have an interview in this discipline. Does anyone know how they make the interview and how difficult is it? The combination of nerves and that english is not my first language have terrified me!! So if anyone has had an interview with them or any info it is very helpful for me!

Also, if anyone here know about such as the dynamics in the office [San Francisco], how much and how they pay, or any information about them, that would be great!

Thanks in advanceeee Im so excited, but also, I'm so nervous!

Dec 5, 14 11:30 pm
mike-garcia
I'd suggest you check out some YouTube clips on most common interview questions. Make sure you have questions for them as well, and stay focussed!

They may glance At your portfolio while you talk to them, but don't expect your portfolio to do all the work.

I'm not sure about sallery. For me it's generally been 18 - 22 per hour. Iv never worked for a company as big as genseler, but some of my friends have started as interns at 25 per hour.

Good luck with your interview!
Dec 6, 14 1:33 am  · 
 · 
natematt

@mike

I think you are confusing an "intern", with a "junior-level architectural designer."

15/hour.

Dec 6, 14 2:34 am  · 
 · 
jll3

I had an interview with Gensler back in May for the summer, skype interview, 2 guys, only asked about my portfolio and to walk them through each project. Didn't get any of the 'typical' interview questions I thought would be asked, only portfolio. Just be clear and concise with your walkthrough of the projects, key points and design ideas, don't ramble.

Friend of mine interned at the Chicago office last summer, was paid 16/hour I believe.

Dec 6, 14 2:45 pm  · 
 · 
mariela_ortizperez

@jll3

And they give you an offer? Tell me about your experience!

Dec 6, 14 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

I interned at Gensler over 3 years ago.  Got hired after emailing them my portfolio and getting a response to setup an interview over the phone.  The phone interview basically involved me explaining my portfolio over the phone, followed by the interviewer talking about their intern development program, what my responsibilities would be, pay, start date and any questions I had for them.   Just relax and be enthusiastic to talk about your work and working there. ^^  The interviewer is not there to grill you and will likely be a junior architect/designer assigned to be your mentor, part of the intern development team at Gensler.  If they liked your portfolio and arranged an interview with you, you're 90% in.  They just need to make sure you can understand and communicate clearly in basic English and that the portfolio is actually yours :)

I got paid $18.50, plus free monthly transportation bus pass, paid LEED examination, lots of free food at work, paid lunches with team and a whole lot of incentives :)

Dec 7, 14 12:30 am  · 
 · 
mariela_ortizperez

@accesskb Do you worked at San Francisco office? Thanks for the tips and advice! They were very very helpful! :) 

Dec 7, 14 1:43 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: