Archinect
anchor

3d max or Maya?

rmsbarreto
I use 3d max for a long time to do architectural renders. But I'm considering to change for Maya to use in osx mac plataform. What are you think about it?
Thanks

Dec 5, 14 1:45 pm
SpatialSojourner

What about Cinema4D or maybe even Rhino or do you want to stick with Autodesk?  

Dec 5, 14 1:54 pm  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

It's less about the software than the product and workflow. Get good at something, then use it. Switching for some arbitrary reason is only going to set you back.

Dec 5, 14 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
Veuxx

Maya and 3dsmax are practically identical products. You can pick it up very quickly once you learn the nuances between how they operate.

Dec 5, 14 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
rmsbarreto
Thanks for all answers!!
I never thought in Cinema 4d or Rhino, but I'll check it out!
First of all I'll study Maya and if I'll feel well to change... who knows!
Dec 5, 14 6:58 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

Maya is great for geometry creation. Then so is Rhino . I used Maya for most of my studio projects in architecture school. Since Rhino is used by many architecture firms, it would be be more advantageous to use Rhino. Maya would be great if you want to work for Zaha, your or really stretch your design thinking. 

That being said - Maya is a great design tool with it's combination of rendering and animation. In fact I think I will use it again myself - 

Dec 7, 14 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
accesskb

master one of either Maya, 3DS Max, MODO etc and you should know how to use all of them.  These poly modeling softwares work similarly.  I've used all of them and must say I really like MODO... Most tools seems to be thought out well and really speed up modeling.  As for nurbs modeling, learn Rhino.  Its good for cad work, actual production and grashopper capabilities.

Dec 7, 14 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

Revit

Dec 7, 14 9:24 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Rhino for Mac sucks

Dec 7, 14 10:26 pm  · 
 · 
rmsbarreto
SpatialSojourner, thanks for open my eyes!! I started to study Maya and I found some difficults regarding import dwg, terrible snap, etc. As a 3d max user, Maya is not atractive for architectural works. I checked cinema 4d out and I though a very good software and quite simple to use as 3d max, unless for me!
I'd like to thank you!
Dec 24, 14 3:30 am  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

I would suggest Rhino /3d max > maya ..... even though our school uses a lot of maya . The only reason is 3d max obviously imports cad files and has a real unit system and has proper scaling understanding which makes it perfect to import back and forth geometry if you are trying to extract drawings out of it .

Maya is very good at modelling but it doesn't have a valid scale system which makes the buildings very out of scale when you put it in context . 

However if you know one poly modelling program max / maya/ blender/ modo / cinema 4d you should be in good shape. But you do need rhino (nurb modelling ) since its the most accurate way of modelling and most firms if not all are using it now . They how ever use t splines (autodesk) which lets them create maya/max like geometry within rhino with high accuracy 

Dec 27, 14 5:18 pm  · 
 · 
marydonley

I would like to work with Maya, as it is very user friendly and also good at modelling. As we know every thing has two aspects, one is good and other is bad. In this manner, 3d Maya also has some drawbacks which needed to be sorted out as soon as possible to carry out work more frequently. You can also visit here for more info.

May 9, 15 3:11 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: