Archinect
anchor

Dissertation Topic

aolorunda

Hello,

I have got a general idea for a dissertation topic, but i feel and others eel it is really board. 

i want to look at sacred spaces within religious architecture (predominant churches). To architecture role in creating/enhancing  a space to enable a sacred experience.  at the moment i identity a number of elements , such as light, volume and proportion.. etc. i will write a bit on each element i find. i'm a bit stuck on where to go from there. 

Could really do with some advise.

Dec 5, 14 10:59 am
SneakyPete

I'm already board.

Dec 5, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 
senjohnblutarsky

Churches are already considered sacred spaces. So, you have to do something better than the name already did.

Consider what makes a church vs. the church, what makes a(the) church sacred, and then move on to how an architect can expand on the idea of a sacred church.

Dec 5, 14 11:33 am  · 
 · 
proto

yes, its really broad. your dissertation should ask a specific question, and then attempt a complete investigation. whether there is a discrete answer or not will only be learned once the research and analysis is completed.

historical question: how do transverse crossings enhance the celebration of mass?

design question: how can rammed earth enhance the celebration of wicken rituals?

(if english is a second language for you, take some extra time to make sure you're understanding the nuances of the writing you produce)

Dec 5, 14 12:23 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

I've seen many sacred spaces, mostly in churches throughout France, Spain & Portugal. Most of them were great buildings to walk-through but the experience comes to a sudden halt when I remind myself of what nonsense (I'm trying to be respectful, it's hard) they were built to support/promote.

sacred spaces in non superstition-related architecture would be a nice angle to direct research.

Dec 5, 14 12:39 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

a few jumping off points:

what is a spiritual space? What evokes spirituality within a space? How is spirituality manifest in architecture not only within the context of history, but also in the present day? Does it hold the same value? Etc. etc. etc. This can also tie into phenomenology. 

Dec 5, 14 1:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: