Archinect
anchor

Best architecture magazines?

markmalakh

Hi all!

I know someone who is casually (but not professionally) interested in architecture, and would like to give them a gift of a subscription to an architecture magazine.

Can anyone recommend a good magazine for this? One that is neither too technical nor professionally-oriented?

I'd appreciate any kind of help or direction with this.

Dec 2, 14 4:53 pm
SeriousQuestion

I like Mark. Very well designed. Well curated selection of projects.

http://www.frameweb.com/magazines/mark

Dec 2, 14 4:59 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I love A+U but it's expensive.

Dec 2, 14 6:13 pm  · 
 · 
haruki

2G used to be the absolute best in the world but sadly they have stopped publishing on paper and you can on subscribe to a pdf version which just isn't the same : (  

Dec 2, 14 7:46 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

You may find something at Coverjunkie.  You can browse around at least.

Dec 2, 14 8:41 pm  · 
 · 
mkeith1113

There's Architect Magazine, which I guess is owned by the American Institute of Architects (AIA). Personally, I like edc as well (edcmag.com). 

Dec 3, 14 12:52 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Architectural Record, Azure, Dwell and Architectural Digest for the layperson.

I personally keep a Architectural Record subscription, along with the Architect subscription that comes with AIA dues and a subscription to Log. I hate Dwell, I like Azure, and if I had more time, I'd get my Azure sub renewed.

Dec 3, 14 1:33 pm  · 
 · 
geobag

Artichoke magazine. I find it great in the sense it's not specific to one area of design. Showcasing architecture, design, objects, people and products.

Although it's Published in Australia the annual subscription was great for generating ideas.

Dec 3, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
I love FRAME; had a subscription before the economy tanked.
Dec 3, 14 4:57 pm  · 
 · 
anonitect

I like the Architectural Review, and the web archive that comes with a subscription is great.

Dec 3, 14 11:26 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

Detail (German magazine) and The Plan (Italian). Mark is awesome, too. 

Dec 4, 14 1:12 am  · 
 · 
OM..

Yaah, Mark's a beautiful magazine that I think would appeal best to someone outside of architecture. Also Icon does a good job of giving architecture, art, and design equal coverage and weight.

Dec 4, 14 3:57 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

http://www.uncubemagazine.com/index.html

Dec 8, 14 12:24 am  · 
 · 
go do it

From reddit

Dec 8, 14 12:35 am  · 
 · 

See also previously on Archinect here, here or here

Dec 11, 14 10:34 pm  · 
 · 
Mark21

Hi Mark, i like www.isplora.com for architecture in Italy. Give it a look. ;-)

Jan 16, 15 8:21 am  · 
 · 
rothko67

For residential architecture, I really like HOUSES.  It's purely Australian in content, but really great. 

http://architecturemedia.com/magazines/houses/

Jan 18, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
cipyboy

got a free subscription for Architectural Record through our office. Check yours if they offer one too..

May 5, 16 10:10 am  · 
 · 

Read Architectural Review, Log, Phamplet, Oppositions

May 6, 16 6:16 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: