Archinect
anchor

Rebranding myself: draftsman --> interior designer

Sbeth85

I have a BA in a humanities subject and then did an Associates (I live in Israel, technically my degree is in "practical engineering" but de-facto it translates into "CAD monkey"/ lowest-on-totem-pole) in Architecture and Interior Design. So far, however, both the degree and my first job (1.5 years) has focused more on drafting, construction coordination, and office management than interior design. I'm much more interesting in getting hands-on experience learning about selecting finishes, FF&Es, clients, budgets, etc and so want to get a new job that will allow me to learn those skills.

How can I better market myself to get the kind of creative jobs I want if all my experience so far has been more technical? Any tips? 

(I'm thinking of maybe doing some mood-boards and making up interiors and including them in my portfolio, which will mostly be technical drawings so far.)

Dec 2, 14 10:16 am
chigurh

Decide who you want to be then go be it.  Simple.  

Believe it yourself, learn any skills you need to make the transition, then market the hell out of your new identity.  If you believe it and are passionate about where you want to be, others will believe it too.  

Dec 4, 14 9:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: