Archinect
anchor

Transfer for Undergraduate

Girlwholovesarchi

Hey Everyone,

I am an international student from Nigeria currently attending the University of Michigan and pursuing a BSC in Architecture. I am not very satisfied with the school, and I am looking to transfer to UPenn Columbia or Cornell. I recently applied to Cornell, Rice, USC, Notre Dame, and Carnegie Mellon and I was either wait listed or rejected. I wanted to know the benefits of a BSC vs a BA, vs Barch in architecture, and I am want to get into the top graduate programs i.e Harvard, Yale, Columbia. Should I stay at the U of M or attempt transferring to the other schools? I am also taking into consideration the pedigrees of the individual schools. (Money is not a factor just looking for the best educational experience)

Dec 1, 14 6:05 pm
Driko
What is it that you don't like and what is it that you like at the other universities you want to go to? I would say stay at u Michigan, Great school. I went through the transfer process and its not worth it. You will most likely end up retaking some studio courses
Dec 1, 14 8:03 pm  · 
 · 
Girlwholovesarchi

Thanks Driko. What school did you transfer into? I am a pre-admit in the school of architecture, but I find that the faculty is extremely occupied and no one has time for any of the lower class men here. Also I was surprised to find that we do not have our own studio spaces as pre-admits. I feel the University as a whole is too big for me, and very much laid back. I'm also not too sure on the degree. A BArch seems like a quicker career path. To be honest am bored with Ann Arbor I just feel the locations of the other schools with the exception of Cornell will suit me more.

Dec 1, 14 9:44 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I went to university of Arizona which was a B.arch to university of illinois UC which is a bs in arch. I left because arizona was a bit expensive. In my experience I saw the faculty are more focus on the upper class and it seems most schools don't give first years their own studio space. I still think your at a great school and a lot of interesting things happen there. If you really don't like it, look at the schools in either coast and in a major city of your not too worried about finance.

For the degree type there is little to no difference from what I see between a bachelors of science and a Bachelors of Arts. B. Arch might be a faster route if getting licensesd but it's more of a commitment since its a 5 year program and since you plan on transferring you will end up doing 6 years which is the same path that you are one now. A masters in my opionon is more desirable and you can be a architecture studio professor at most institutions with a masters in architecture to my knowledge.
Dec 1, 14 11:08 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: