Archinect
anchor

A young student in need of important help

Matt Sommerville

I'm a sixth form student who is hoping to study architecture for the future, but I have come up with a issue, whether to go straight into university or to take a gap year first and gain experience. Its a really big decision for me both financially and for myself. If anyone could suggest what they're opinions on the matter it would help me greatly. Thank you

Dec 1, 14 1:22 pm
SeriousQuestion

Take the gap year! Exposure to the real world is useful and can sometimes be difficult but is FAR more valuable than time spent in the ivory tower.

Dec 1, 14 1:37 pm  · 
 · 

I agree. Gap year. Makes the time back in school much more valuable as you have a much broader perspective on life that you can then focus in your studies.  And if you can save a little money to ease your student debt, all the better.

Dec 1, 14 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
mantaray

I have always said that a) I wish I'd taken a gap year - it would have significantly increased my focus and mental clarity in my studies, especially in architecture which, as a fine art, demands that you know yourself intimately in order to create beautifully - and b) that I will try to get my children to pursue gap years of some kind before they commit to a university education.

THAT SAID, an architectural education is a PARTICULARLY expensive education and therefore, IF the gap year is going to eat up all your funds and leave you needing giant loans in order to pursue architecture, then I am not sure it is worth it.  Education loans in architecture are, as I'm sure you're aware from even a casual perusal of the forum topics lately, a huge issue (because the profession doesn't really pay enough to pay them back).

Dec 1, 14 6:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: