Archinect
anchor

communication in architecture

majedeh

good morning everyone,

i am a senior architecture student and busy with my thesis and would love to know different opinion towards my topic or where i can get information regarding this topic. 

My research is about visual communication in architecture and how architecture communicates visually? What are the elements that visually enable architecture to communicate with the people and its context?

Nov 29, 14 3:35 pm
anonitect

"My research is about visual communication in architecture and how architecture communicates visually?"  You tell us.

I'd suggest starting at the library.  Beginning a project by posting on an architecture forum is a lazy way to do schoolwork, and unlikely to be productive.

Nov 29, 14 4:31 pm  · 
 · 
green man

Nice topic.

Nov 29, 14 4:51 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Starting a project on "communication in architecture" by communicating a request for others to do your work is not a good beginning.  

Better to search the topic via online and physical libraries, read a dozen or so sources, develop a list of questions, and post that here for comments and suggestions.

Nov 29, 14 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

Try starting out with " A Pattern Language", by Christopher Alexander

Nov 29, 14 5:36 pm  · 
 · 
green man

You mustn't enter in the trap of washing your topic only in the architectural field.What eyes see aren't what is really, maybe it is for humans but not in reality.That's why animals don't see what we see.Eyes receive 80% of the external information,imagine their impact in our feelings,moods.For instance each colour inspire a feeling,likewise paintings.

Nov 30, 14 8:28 am  · 
 · 
Zencad

Do you understand how other disciplines approach communication through visual mediums with and without the use of written text? You should look into John Baldessari. 

Dec 2, 14 12:12 am  · 
 · 
green man

Where are you on your work?

Dec 3, 14 3:32 pm  · 
 · 
JEShirley

majedeh, I might be a little late on the response but maybe I can help someone with a similar question.

I've worked for architecture firms for the past decade or more. In the field you'll learn quick that you don't have good design if you can't communicate it well. I like to use Lumion to generate quick eye candy. Other people might use Sketchup or 3D Max with a VRay plugin. There are a lot of options, but the best ones are quick and easy.

It's important during the design development phase that you know what materials you're using. Clients want to see those, but it can take a lot of time cruising around the internet finding all the right brands.  I like to use spec.ninja to quickly find materials, and gather them into a presentation. You don't even need special software. The site makes it easy to visually communicate the material selection.

When creating a rendering for my projects I'll generally I keep my furniture and other architectural items generic or non-specific. Clients can get hung up on all sort of distracting details such as the type of car in the driveway.

Most often I see people trying to make hyper realistic renderings. I'm not so interested in those. For one thing, they take longer to create. And also I feel like the style of a rendering needs to reflect the style of the project. A cabin estate in the woods looks better as a pencil sketch than a hyper real environment.

Jan 28, 16 8:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: