Archinect
anchor

laptop dock?

gruen

So, I recently purchased a bada$$ windows 7 laptop for revit. (Mailbal Satori) I'm planning on setting up a desk soon, with a couple of big monitors. I'd like to get a dock, so the laptop is just the CPU for this rig, but since it's a generic computer (IE: not a Dell, HP, etc), I can't buy a dock that's specific for the computer.

I'm worried that the generic docks will be too slow to run graphics on a couple of big monitors. A lot of them use a single USB 3.0 connection to the dock, which sounds laughable for getting real graphics performance.

Any recommendations for hardware? 

My other option is to just plug the laptop into a big monitor, and use the laptop as the keyboard and monitor, but this means that the big "primary" monitor will be off to the side, while the little laptop "secondary" monitor will be right in front of me. Kinda backwards. 

Nov 28, 14 3:37 pm
bugsmetoo

Look at what your manufacturer recommends: Matrox.

Nov 28, 14 6:28 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

OK, that's sweet. Took me a minute to figure out what you were getting at, but I found the Matrox Dualhead2Go which looks like what I want. Thanks :)

Nov 28, 14 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Look at the models carefully. Some connect via DisplayPort and some via VGA (avoid, too backwards). Depending on your desired screen resolutions, you might need the triple-port one.

Nov 28, 14 10:39 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

@gruen,

Do you mind sharing the spec.s for your Satori?  I'm looking to get one for Revit. 

Dec 7, 14 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

That's sort of funny...  I've got a Malibal (it's a rebadged Clevo...).  I've also used for years a Matrox triplehead2go from my initial laptop setup.  So running 4 monitors; 3 externals plus the notebook screen.  My Matrox though is old VGA so the resolution isn't ideal anymore (1024x768 per screen).  The matrox box simply fools your machine into thinking it is a 3072x768 (per my max above) widescreen secondary monitor. 

With mine, given the old age, it simply squishes the graphic menu systems of AutoCAD and Photoshop way to much.  At some point I'll upgrade to just one external large monitor since I can keep using the notebook monitor as the second and skip the Matrox. 

It's not so much a 'dock' as it plugging stuff in.  One video cable, power, 2 usb's (keyboard, mouse), network cable (can just use the wireless though), and headphones. 

Mine's older, but has a i7 2860QM, 4x4 gigs of ddr3, AMD Radeon 6900M and dual 500 GB Seagate hybrid drives... oh, and it's the 17" model running Windows 7.  I didn't go for the dual sli type notebook; Battery life was a consideration as well as weight.

I've had great luck with the Clevo machines in the past including overclock the hell out of it. Fast, but not flashy like a lot of gamer rigs.

Dec 8, 14 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
Ok, I'll pull the specs when I get home. Haven't actually used it w revit yet-still working on the dual monitor setup. Right now I'm going to try a 24" monitor through the HDMI port, use the laptops screen as the secondary display & use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo so I can face the big monitor.

The Satori flys on big sketch up files-100MB plus. I'm not a big 3d guy.
Dec 9, 14 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Sounds like my setup.  I started with a cordless keyboard mouse combo to face the screen, but the battery usage was annoying.  I have wondered if I can run two externals since I've got both a DVI port and a HDMI... haven't tried that.   I have though used the notebook to run my home tv... not really work, but more movie type stuff. 

Sort of funny, but when I rent a condo or something, they normally have free wifi.  So the notebook can run netflicks, various media streaming and bluray as well as gaming, outlook, IM's, etc.; so I use it like a all in one media center on vacation... :P

Dec 10, 14 10:30 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: