Archinect
anchor

Travelling Architect

yEAh

I've been recently reading about travelling and backpacking, which makes me really, really inspired. I'm thinking of doing this for a few months or as long as I can hold on to basically being a nomad. I just have a few concerns and fears that this is something Architects might not do or might not be able to risk since continuity in our work is very important. (Unless working and travelling as a design professional is possible!)

I don't really know much about how this might affect my career or finances but I think the older I get the less I am inclined in doing this. They say travelling during your 20s is the best time. I'm already on the second half of mine and I feel like I'm getting too old. I just believe that by 30, as a person and as an Architect, you should be stable already.

The only thing I'm sure of is, this will open me up to new ideas, be refreshed and inspired by scenes, landscapes, different cultures and all people from different walks of life. I could go on but I think everyone knows how travelling is always a good idea and that you could learn a lot from it.

It's just a thought circling around my head for a while now. Anybody here having same thoughts as I am? or maybe did this thing few years back? I'm sure some of you are probably laughing at the idea now or rolling your eyes at this. Thoughts?

*Currently thinking or Europe/South American adventure : )

Nov 27, 14 2:31 pm

You nailed it: laughing. 20-something and you're feeling like you're getting old. LOL

Nov 27, 14 2:57 pm  · 
 · 
We architects are supposed to be stable? That's news to me.

I used to think like you, but then my life has happened and I wouldn't change a bit of it.
Nov 27, 14 4:22 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

yEAh…(laughing)…I’m 65 years old, had a very successful 40 year career and now looking back I wish I would have done something similar, with one modification – I would have never come back. 

Nov 27, 14 6:35 pm  · 
 · 
urbanity

Do the things in life that bring you joy...not just when you are young, but throughout your lifetime.

Nov 27, 14 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

When I finished my undergrad I got a small summer gig; the work dried up quicker than the principle anticipated and I was let go about a month earlier than they had planned for it to happen. My old college roommate was just about to take off for a backpacking trip he had been planning for months with another friend of ours, and I was in the fortunate position of having paid off my student loan and with some money aside for a rainy day. I hopped on a seat sale to meet them in Dublin maybe ~5 days after I finished working. It was two of the most memorable months of my life, and it ended up being a huge influence on the M.Arch thesis I am currently writing, which is dealing with transit systems. It was also an excellent dry-run for the 5-month exchange I went on during my masters degree.

There is something particularly fulfilling about the hosteling/backpacking thing, scraping by on the cheap with the only possessions as what you can carry on your back. If you get serious about going, I'd highly recommend a TV series called "Departures", small Canadian show about backpacking across the world by a few professional cinematographers.

Nov 27, 14 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

@Carrera: What do you mean by you would have never come back? to your profession or to the thought of it?

@BenC: Good for you! You went on a heartbeat and just went there. I'm also battling with thoughts if I should just do the travelling thing during my masters, which I plan on taking in Europe. 

Honestly everyday, new thoughts come up regarding this. Sometimes rational, sometimes just a spur of the moment. I'm thinking of delaying it 'til next next year so I'll have more funds but then again, I have the means, but I'm just not sure of using my savings on this travel. 

Dec 2, 14 10:22 am  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@yEAh

That is a great Idea.

This spring I realized that my world was too small for an architect and decided to widen it.

I wonted to do something cool and hard, not just take a bus or plane and visit some places.

But something rather crazy... something that I would always remember and would stay always in my hart.

I sold everything I had, quit my job, bought a backpack and went on a road 

Guess what I did? have you ever heard about Jack Kerouac?

I hitchhiked around the US this summer for 111 days!!! and vistied the most important buildings, engineering marvels and lighthouses...

I saw the most beautiful part of America...

experienced the greatest joy of solitude left out with my sketchbook and my thoughts.

It was the happiest time in my life. I discovered myself and I have changed for ever.

My image of architecture has changed for ever.

Here is my Instagram documenting all my journey.

http://instagram.com/david_deiss

Take a look, you may like it.

Dec 3, 14 9:34 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Do it! One of the (few) good things about architecture is that it is an old person's profession. Continuity is important when you have a bunch of responsibilities to fulfil, bills to pay etc.

When you are coming into your own as an architect, which for most people is 40-45, and at that age no one will ask what you were upto when 25. Indeed, it will be a plus in that you will have had more real-life, varied experience in the global workplace.

Dec 3, 14 10:07 pm  · 
 · 
yEAh

@Unamuno Oh dear your journey looks amazing! I'm stoked to see an Architect who did this! I  connect a bit with your blogs because I'm also poetic and a frustrated writer. Now you gave me a totally new perspective. Exciting!

Dec 4, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

there are always a bunch of recent architecture grads going back and forth across europe (russia/finland to portugal and reverse; i lived in germany for a while and it was fun to chat with them as they exchanged tips with someone headed the other way).  lot's of aussies taking their 'grand tour'.  there are some travel fellowships out there (SOM, WashU, etc) and these days if you can write well, a blog might be able to give you a little extra funding (or freelance write).

as others mentioned, traveling helps us as practitioners so it's not something you want to shelve later on, but rather continue to gather inspiration.

Dec 4, 14 3:33 pm  · 
 · 
Sorrowful Giuseppe

@yEAH

I am glad that you liked my journey. I am very proud of it.

I am going to do the same trip in Canada next summer.

As for the blog, you might not find it very good due to my Dyslexia. It is extremely hard to for me to write. :( 

p.s. don't forget to take a sketchbook with you. it is the best friend for an architect.

Dec 4, 14 4:22 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: