Archinect
anchor

How to climb up the ladder a year after graduation

mike-garcia

Iv held various jobs soon after graduating out of the Berkeley CED with a BA in architecture.

Why im posting this....

1. I want to know what the average rate is, "hourly rate" for a junior drafting designer is.
  2. What responsibilities are you tasked with after a year of being employed as a junior.

Heres how it went for me.

1st job. I made 18.00 with a small 1 person firm doing freelance drafting for a structural engineer. As a recent grad, he asked me to email him proof that I attended and completed the program at Berkeley, because I apparently knew so very little.

2nd.. I earned 16.00 per hour doing renderings and drafting for a small design firm specializing in dentist office design.

3rd... I made 12 per hour working with another very small, 3 person architectural firm. I went in just organizing the materials library, and shortly began to do the drafting of a small residential project he had going on. We worked very well together. He knew how to draw up details by hand, and I really enjoyed the work there. I learned allot from that guy, but I couldn't afford to stay there with student loans and all. when I told him I was hired at at my current job, he smiled at me and said said "ass hole" and than he said he was gonna break my legs so I couldn't leave. That has been my favorite job so far!

4th. Im earning 18.50 per hour at an architecture firm that specializes in theater design, and performing arts buildings. Its a 15 person firm with our other office in LA with just my boss and I in the SF office. He has a negative outlook. He says he just pushes papers around all day and that architects are simply professional "Naggers". Im lucky to have this job, but I feel like im not really being challenged enough. 

5th. I have a second job making 22.00 per hour preparing plans for a structural engineer. This is freelance and its the most iv made so far.

I will need to go back to grad school to get an accredited degree, but just how much more would I be earning after that? I know its not about the degree, and more about my own experience that determines how much I can make, but am I being well paid? should I just thank my lucky stars I have my current job? It was a long road for me to get through school, and I told my sister how much I was making and she laughed at me, and said she made more than me working at Macy's selling cosmetics... 

Nov 26, 14 11:21 pm
natematt

Considering you only have a BA, I would say you are doing pretty well…

If you had a masters in LA you might start around 22/hour with benefits with 0-1 year experience.  Depending on the type of firm and your skill level.

Here is an interesting thing to look at:  http://salaries.archinect.com/

Nov 27, 14 12:33 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

Your first problem is that you worked 5 jobs in less than a year...Can't climb the ladder that way...

Your best best would have been to stay with the dude that called you an asshole, sounded like you were learning a lot and that it was good, applied architectural work, unlike the structural jobs, which pay more, but are not going to help you move ahead in the architectural field.  Sometimes you have to take a financial hit for awhile before you will see the gains.

Nov 27, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
5 jobs in one year is insane(even if you are at numbers 4/5 now)...find a place and stick it out. That much turnover is a huge red flag on your resume.

If you can't make payments on $12/hr, how much will you need to make after a grad degree? I know your biggest concern is getting experience but you need to put a dent in that debt before you can begin to think about a professional degree and licensure. Nothing wrong with working for a structural engineer part-time, it's good experience and good money.

Start logging IDP hours now, it will pay off later.
Nov 27, 14 11:20 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: