Archinect
anchor

Sitting for ARE's without an accreditted degree.. HELP

archa3

Hi all:

Upon graduating from the University of Florida and getting my Bachelors of Design I went straight to work to gain the valuable experience at a firm.  Now, over six years later, I have worked on tons of projects, large and small, some exclusively by myself from design to construction administration and have learned all the coordinating procedures that follow.  My problem is, I don't have a NAAB accredited degree!

At this stage in my career I am ready to sit for the ARE exams, however, I  am not eligible to sit since I do not fulfill the education requirement.  The Architects Licensure Law states that the state board has the option of assessing experience in lieu of an accredited degree.  Furthermore, in lieu of the educational requirement of a professional degree, an applicant must evidence at least six years of experience under the direct supervision of a registered architect (which I have done) and must complete three years IDP (which I have done). 

Long story short, I have to request a hearing to prove that I possess the qualifications for licensure and will need to present evidence in support.

Has anyone done this before?  I would appreciate any advice on the matter or any resources that may be beneficial for this scenario. 

Thanks in advance!

Nov 26, 14 12:18 am
BulgarBlogger

In NY- without an accredited degree, you need at least 12 years of work experience.Not sure what the rules are in FL

Nov 26, 14 9:16 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

NCARB  website http://www.ncarb.org/Getting-an-Initial-License/Registration-Board-Requirements.aspx?jurisid=53

you could get a license in say New York or Colorado with 5 yeas and your per-professonal degree.

Nov 26, 14 9:49 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Get licensed in NY and then get reciprocity. Fuck NCARB and their push for accredited schooling being the only path to licensure. 

Nov 26, 14 11:47 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

^If that works...  Not possible in the state I live in nor the nearby states.

Make some calls, hear firsthand what the real skinny is....  

Nov 26, 14 12:17 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

If you have the experience under your belt and you have good documentation go for the hearing.  It is only a hearing.  I doubt if you will have any problem.  Just keep in mind some of the best Architects of all time didn't have a degree. 

I sat for the exam  without an architectural degree by  working in offices.  Not that I didn't have a bucket load of  college credits.  Think I had something like 160 hours of credits. My problem was they were scattered from various schools and not all in the field of architecture. 

I recall  the day I went to  take the design exam, the room was filled with a lot of people I had attended the university with.  Many of them were surprised to see me there, knowing I had left  school to go work in an architectural office.  I recall hitting about 4:00 pm and people  I knew from school were  packing it in, just cause they were struggling with the design problem.  I passed the exam, became registered.  A year later started my own firm, still doing it  and just about to kick it out the door and retire.

Nov 26, 14 2:52 pm  · 
 · 
x6d2kufl

I'm curious to hear results of the hearing.  I am taking my AREs right now without NAAB degree.  Get your license in another state such as AZ, WI, or NY since NAAB is not required.  BEA program is may get revamped in June of 2015 so there's a possibility to get reciprocity back into your state much easier.  NCARB is considering a change from 10 years of work to 1 year of work.  Otherwise continue on for the required years of practice in your state.

Nov 28, 14 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: