Archinect
anchor

Social Class and Procurement Opportunities

BulgarBlogger

I was thinking about how architects get the "big" jobs. And I am not talking about projects like the World Trade Center or skyscrapers in China (although this too can be part of the discussion). I am also not necessarily talking about starchitects. 

I am primarily referring to local architects who get community centers or campus projects or media centers etc. Reputation has a lot to do with getting new work, but I also think many business opportunities come through referrals and networking.

So my question is: how much does your social class have to do with your ability to interact with people of a certain caliber who may potentially be able to hire you and utilize your professional services?

Nov 25, 14 9:42 am
x-jla

"class" is a bullshit idea made up by people with small brains and big pockets

Nov 25, 14 9:55 am  · 
 · 
midlander

depends on your target market. if you want to do fancy houses for fancy people, it helps to know their lifestyle and feel comfortable socializing with them. but if you're outgoing and charismatic that matters more than anything else for private commissions.

if you're talking about public commissions or institutional clients - no, being an educated professional is sufficient.

in other words, don't let any feelings of class inferiority limit the kind of work you look for. if you're smart, you'll always have a chance.

Nov 25, 14 10:04 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I disagree. This is a very Marxist approach toward understanding class. I believe in the Weberian idea of class- where a person's class is determined by his skills and education. Usually however, people with skill and education end up being perceived in the Marxist way. 

Nov 25, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

I, too, believe in the Weberian philosphy, because any time I've fired up the Weber and tossed out some cold beers, we've all gotten along just fine.

Nov 25, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

You have to have skill & drive either way, but if you’re not a social gadfly then public is best…watch for RFP’s and find a big out-of-town firm that matches the project perfectly to partner with and bring them in to get the job with you - voilà – you just got a big project.

Nov 25, 14 11:12 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

i think the way to look at it is that people who hire architects, be they contractors or developers or the government or one-off business owners or whoever, are going to want to hire someone they know, like, and trust.

if you grow up around a lot of people who hire architects, i think you're more likely to be in a position to get hired.  if you introduce yourself and spend 5 minutes with someone who hires architects, you'll be less likely to get the job.

Nov 25, 14 11:33 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

Yes, always.

Nov 25, 14 12:48 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

"He said that there will never be a single payer system in the USA until someone finds out how to make money on it."

"Someone" did.

Nov 25, 14 4:56 pm  · 
 · 

^ I wasn't aware that we had a single payer system.

Nov 25, 14 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Who said we did?

Nov 25, 14 5:28 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

Sorry Miles, you'll need to yell at me on the other thread.  Cross post.

Nov 25, 14 5:38 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Bulgar I would suggest its less about class and more about what you are interested in. Take Donald Trump for example, he plays like a Billionaire but really isn't. So if you want to be high class you can pretend to be high class.

Nov 25, 14 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Olaf- I really think you have no idea what being high class means...

Nov 25, 14 10:12 pm  · 
 · 

Class depends on your point of view. For some the measure is money, for others it is quality of behavior. One thing is certain: those with more of the former tend to have less of the latter.

Nov 25, 14 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Another way to put, it's all about acting the part if you are not the part.  Are you willing to act the part?

Based on your comment Bulgar I guess you do not think of Donald Trump as high class, never mind most his investors are which means that's his network, or are you suggesting high class has nothing to do with money? "I believe in the Weberian idea of class- where a person's class is determined by his skills and education."

Well then, you are just naive or trying to redefine class, which is not up to you, just like Capitalism wasn't up to Marx, was it?

Nov 25, 14 10:42 pm  · 
 · 

If you really want to have this discussion read Class by Paul Fussell. Then we can talk.

Trump is - according to his behavior - lower middle class. No amount of money can mask it. 

Nov 25, 14 11:30 pm  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

I had some comments, but given my new view of the OP via the other thread -- nah.

Nov 26, 14 10:13 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

Architecture was historically a gentleman's profession

Are you a gentleman?

Nov 26, 14 11:01 am  · 
 · 

Sorry, Saint, that wasn't addressed to you. But go ahead and keep your head buried in the sand if that's what makes you happy.

Nov 26, 14 11:10 am  · 
 · 
Saint in the City

^ Sometimes it does help keep me happy.  However we're crossing the threads enough that I'm not sure what you're referencing.

Nov 26, 14 11:32 am  · 
 · 

I know the feeling. No news is good news.

Nov 26, 14 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: