Archinect
anchor

Thesis Cover Crit?

9093bsbk

Hi archinect,

I am in the final phase of writing my undergraduate thesis- layout.

To give some background, my topic is the visual impacts of concrete acoustical barriers and the ways in which they can be integrated into their landscape or not used at all- either through careful alignments, use of materials; creative use of colour  texture, pattern, and planting of barriers, and the incorporation of trails, linear parks and/or urban forestry into the railway corridor.

This is my cover page as of now. I would love to know your thoughts and if there is anything to be added or improved on.

Thanks, and talk to you soon.

Nov 23, 14 8:26 pm
SpatialSojourner

Looks great but the title looks super small.  I would put a larger title in the top white bar and then the phrase larger where it is currently located.  The green color of the phrase is kind of hard to read but maybe that will go away once larger. 

Nov 23, 14 9:23 pm  · 
 · 
l3wis

personally I think you can do without the graphics in the middle. Or the railway graphic could be shifted up in place of the city grid graphic so you have a duality of neighborhood plan and railway. it looking cool though.

I learned in environmental design class the other day that concrete sound barriers are not very effective, because they do not reflect or absorb the low-frequency sounds of semi-trailers and larger engines -- they only are good at blocking the sound of small engines and honking. Have you found similar information regarding railways?

Nov 24, 14 11:17 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

I disagree with the title being small critique.

One of the reasons architects are awful at typography is because they like to assume that everyone is a blind bat and oversize everything. That's great for CD's, not great when you're trying to grab someone's attention (ie, a book cover).

You could definitely do without the middle part of the graphics.

Nov 24, 14 12:37 pm  · 
 · 
9093bsbk

Thanks for your feedback everyone.

l3wis: Yes, I've found this too. Noise mitigation is a very complex process, especially in the case of railways where sound is intermittent but intense. Nothing completely absorbs or reflects the noise. There are many alternatives to the concrete barrier, but I think what is truly hanging over the entire issue is money. Concrete is the most effective for the smallest cost- however other approaches like setbacks, land forming and other architectural barriers achieve the same result. It really is all dependent on the immediate context of the railway.

Nov 26, 14 3:02 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

Font is small. Try printing it to size and test it on yourself--I had to squint to make out the secondary light green text because it's also not the most legible font out there. Needs a bit more space between the text lines.

Nov 26, 14 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: