Archinect
anchor

Contract for freelance Design

atabs01

I am not sure if I am posting in the right forum and I apologize if  am not. I am in need of a basic contract for a small residential project. I am not an Architect but I have been working as a designer for the past 6 years. I have a Bsc.Arch and I am three semesters away from my MArch. I just need something that could offer me some protection. I would appreciate any help. here is my email. [email protected]. Thanks in advance!

Nov 22, 14 10:23 am

The only real protection is abstinence.

Nov 22, 14 1:50 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ LOL.

Nov 22, 14 3:41 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just write a “Letter of Understanding” it’s less intimidating for all on small-fry stuff. Just write down bullet points of your understanding of what you will do and provide…what you expect to be paid and when…should be on a single page…give it to them and ask if this is their understanding….done.

Nov 22, 14 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

Miles is probably the least helpful old geezer on this forum.

Nov 24, 14 10:03 am  · 
 · 

So, toosmart, what's your sage advice to protect him? Or was that the most helpful comment you've got?

Nov 24, 14 10:25 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Where Protection!  Take a  University Course in Contract Management  and then most of your issues will be identified and you can write them into your contract.  If you fail this class or get low marks figure on hiring an attorney to figure it out for you, but feel prepared to pay thru the nose.

Nov 24, 14 4:34 pm  · 
 · 
proto

1)write down what the project scope is. be as detailed as you are able.

2) identify what you will do for the owner. be as detailed as you are able.

(list services, not products [you can't promise what the GC will do])

3) state what you will be paid and how and when

(ie, hourly rate, paid with phase completion, monthly billing, retainer, reimbursables, etc)

if the proposal is ok with the client, you both should sign it and date it and start work

Nov 25, 14 8:22 pm  · 
 · 

Don't forget the retainer, and don't get behind on the fee.

Nov 25, 14 10:46 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: