Archinect
anchor

Post Graduation Advice

luckycorgi

Hi, 

I am about to graduate this spring with a BA in architecture. I only took one year of design studio so I do not have many professional skills. I have used Sketchup, Lumion, Grasshopper and InDesign but I am in no way proficient. I think it will be best for me to work in the field awhile before I fully commit to a graduate program but will it be impossible for me to get a job or internship for next year? 

I know firms aren't lining up to hire unskilled recent grads so while I am on the hunt for a job, I will start learning AutoCAD, Revit, and other programs; that way if I am lucky enough to get an interview I will have a small foundation of knowledge to work off of. My biggest fear is that I won't be able to get a job in the field so I will have to settle for some lower level management job at the local mall - Please give me some advice on how to avoid this. Please?

Nov 21, 14 5:36 pm

Times are great. There is plenty of work out there so you should still have a chance to find placement somewhere. 

Nov 21, 14 7:07 pm  · 
 · 
You might have a rough time given the pre-professional degree. There is a lot of work out there right now, but a lot of places are looking for people with MArchs and 2-3 years of experience.
Nov 22, 14 4:04 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Times are great, but I would try to stay as close to home as possible in your job search.  Leverage your school's alumni network, and your professor's industry connections if you can, otherwise, in the best case, you may end up lower management at the mall.  With an MArch, some good connections in the area I moved to, but no experience, it took me 5 months after graduation to land a job as an intern architect.  It was a very stressful process, and I was just weeks from suspending the search because I needed to do something.  Good luck, but make sure you start planting bugs with your department now so they can help you find something before next summer.

Nov 24, 14 11:09 am  · 
 · 
OM..

All the advice is pretty spot on. Start searching early, have a well designed and curated portfolio, and work on your skills.

One question though, how did you manage to only take one year of design studio? Seems like only a year of work wouldn't be enough to a) learn the skills and b) get proficient enough to use it in your job hunt.

Nov 24, 14 6:34 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

didn't even read your post:  GET A JOB!

Nov 24, 14 6:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: