Archinect
anchor

Laptop for Grad School - Don't Want an Apple

Looks like I'm in the market for a new laptop. My 17" MBP is geeking out as we speak and I'm not looking to go back to apple. I've built a desktop that's pretty solid so just need a notebook for ancillary stuff and lighter cad/rhino/revit/Adobe work. I'm looking to spend $400-700. Found this Lenovo on sale from $1100 down to $700: http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y40/  Thoughts? Other recommendations? I know Black Friday's around the corner, should I wait or is this a deal I shouldn't pass up? 

Y'all are great

Nov 20, 14 7:22 am
toosaturated

I wouldn't get a Lenovo, I got a Thinkpad T460s in 2012 and its in terrible shape now. Very flimsy construction imo. I can't say about the quality now but I would look into an Asus or Dell.

Nov 20, 14 11:09 am  · 
 · 
null pointer

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, if you need hardware advice, avoid Archinect and head to Reddit. Asking those guys over there (BuildMeAPC and associated sub-reddits) keep up with trends a lot better than most of us.

Nov 20, 14 1:31 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Dont get Lenovo. Surprisingly, Toshiba is making some great laptops these days, and is rather affordable.

Nov 20, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

the HP Spectre did well for the last two years - great with Rhino and Revit - HP no longer makes them and I too will be switching to a MBP next year- yes they are expensive - Toshiba is iffy - so MBP is the only game in town.

Nov 20, 14 4:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

mac is not the only game in town.....

i like asus.  seem to be good people as far as i can tell.

Nov 20, 14 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

Hell no on both the MacBook Pro and Lenovo options.  I've found both to be fragile and have software/slowness issues with architectural and graphic software.  Dell and Alienware seem pretty solid.  I've seen Asus machines that look just like MacBooks if you really want that aluminum look.

Nov 21, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Xenakis, i dont like toshiba either, but was surprised to see a $1300 with core i7, 3gb of video memory, 8gb Ram, AND A 4K SCREEN!

Nov 21, 14 1:34 pm  · 
 · 
zonker

I stand corrected - Autodesk software is hard on laptops - if the MBP is faint of heart - then to hell with it - maybe ASUS or as the sameolddoc suggests Toshiba - the only reason I was suggesting the MBP is it seems apple owns the UltraBook segment - why ultrabook - in my case, I have to walk miles up steep hills in San Francisco and don't like having to put myself in traction at with the Lat Pulldown machine at 24 hour fitness when ever I have to bring the company laptop home(a Dell 4700 built to U.S. Air Force Specs. for controlling Predator drones) - my HP Spectre is easy to carry all the way over the city - and easily runs Revit - renderings often require I use 360 cloud rendering. My main concern is that Apple will monopolize the Ultrabook market - they actually have in that they forced HP off the road. In two years of owning this HP Spectre, I have never seen anyone with one - but I have seen

Nov 21, 14 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: