Archinect
anchor

Job after masters in urban design

ar.aviralsharma

Hi, i am a practicing architect with a B.arch degree, from India. I am planning to pursue a course in urban design from u.s. I want to know if it is possible to work after the completion of the course as most u.d. degrees are not accredited?

Nov 20, 14 10:45 am

Urban designers mostly work for cities and towns in the planning departments or for those type of municipal clients, because in the US Democrats failed to win the election the Republicans are in control off congress and it will be much more difficult for infrastructure and urban renewal projects to get funding. Job prospects are not always dependent on the political outcomes of elections but this congress will be very hostile to the president so bills to fund projects will not likely get through for the next 2 years. If you graduate in 2 years and the political situation changes then you may find lots of urban planning and urban design work. that is a big if.

Nov 20, 14 3:16 pm  · 
 · 
KaylaF

There is no accrediting body for urban designers so I'm not sure that matters really.  A lot of people who don't have a degree in urban design but come from architecture, landscape, or planning backgrounds fall into urban design.  (Not that this is necessarily a good thing, but for you in terms of your question it is).

I don't completely agree with Peter's view as above.  Although there are jobs with cities and towns these are more likely to go to planners than urban designers.  But there are jobs in urban design at most large multidisciplinary practices.  Think Arup/AECOM/Atkins of the world.  Most large-scale development sites require masterplanning/urban design input.  This includes corporate campuses, universities, large-scale housing developments, new town development or urban expansion areas (particularly overseas), etc.  A degree and good portfolio should give you a positive foundation for job hunting.  However, there do tend to be fewer jobs in urban design then in other related disciplines in general.  On the other hand, fewer designers want to be urban designers, so it's probably even in the end.  Good luck!

Dec 2, 14 6:15 am  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Republicans win, democrats lose so you can't have a job.

Makes sense
Dec 2, 14 8:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: