Archinect
anchor

Copenhagen_Architecture and extreme environments

fede93

Hello friends!

I am an Italian undergraduate student attending the third year of architecture in Milan and I'm writing for some advice about my application for my MA abroad. My choices are Glasgow, Oxford Brookes University, TU Delft and Copenhagen: would you recommend any of those?

In particular I definitely fell in love with the Architecture and Extreme Environments program, thaught in the royal danish academy, but I couldn.t find any feedback on the web. Does anybody know anything about it?

My second question is about the portfolio. I've seen several portfolios on this forum involving mostly renders; my 3ds are not that good and I'm afraid my graphics might look mediocre. Actually In my school we are more technical, so I'm sure my projects are very good working(expecially for the structure and the hygrothermal performance) and also good looking, but I'm aware that graphics helps improving a project. Do you think I can include some lighting calculation and motivate in detail the choice of materials, or do you think that's off topic? 

It's so hard to manage with portfolio and exams at the same time! :(

Nov 17, 14 3:31 pm

Just upload a portfolio for people to comment on, even a hastily put up is fine for now.

Did you check ETH Zurich? It has quite good work to its name.

Nov 20, 14 12:24 am  · 
 · 
JReynders

I'm in the studio next to Extreme Environments so while I don't have first hand experience working in their studio, I know a bit about it and am familiar with some of the work.

The Studio is lead by David Garcia of MAP Architects, and the program revolves around design for arctic climates. Right now students in the first year of their masters are designing/building tools and/or small shelters to bring to Svalbard Norway. Tents, chairs that harvest body heat, and tools to focus sunlight to grow plants and generate heat are all things I've seen. Students in the second year of their masters are building shelters that they will have to stay in, in Iceland, in January. 

The studio is in the new Institute for Buildings and Technology, so there is some integration between Extreme Environments, CITA, and Settlement Ecology and Tectonics studios. It seems like a well run studio with a lot of interesting, if not typical architecture school projects(especially first years), coming out of it. 

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Nov 23, 14 4:27 pm  · 
 · 
aarushi

Hi, I am an architect from India and very interested in applying for Masters in Architecture-Spatial Design, Perception and Detail. 

Can anyone please help me with any information about the program, I can hardly find any reviews over the net?

Any help or advice will be very appreciated. 

Oct 17, 16 12:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: