Archinect
anchor

Soldering wire models

MyDream

I am having the worst time soldering wire models. I stayed up all night trying to solder a piece of a model for hours only to fail. My solder iron looks toast I've gone thru like a ton of solder and I have till tomorrow to finish one more model. How can I get the solder off the iron and on the two pieces of music wire the solder just stays on the iron till I touch my cutting mat and just gets wiped away hour after hour after hour until I get lucky and get a good drip.to stay.

Nov 16, 14 3:27 pm
x-jla

music wire?  probably too thin to hold the weight of the droplet.  needs more contact area. in other words, the bond with the iron is stronger.  try to bend the wire at the point you wish to solder.  

Nov 16, 14 3:49 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrVCkEoY_8M

Nov 16, 14 3:59 pm  · 
 · 
MyDream

Metal rods one 1mm model and one 1/2 mm model designed from are wandering line drawings not electronics chigurh but it did give some advice on what not to do with electronic wire.

Jila-x could I get away with bent wire with a piece of solder put onto it I think my professor would notice. I'll give it a try I have like less then 24 hrs to get this done two other drawing and math homework  before the sun comes up.                       

Nov 16, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
First, clean the joint area w sandpaper. Then use flux. And clean the tip of the solder iron w sandpaper and flux too. Pre tin the soldering iron tip.

Pro tips- use thinner music wire. Use a propane torch w a tiny tip. And flux. Does not work without flux
Nov 17, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
gruen
More pro tips- use alligator clips (roach clips lol) to hold the joint while you solder it. Use a piece of homosote to stick the wires into to hold them. Drill the homosote if you have to. Get an xacto "3rd hand " tool
Nov 17, 14 1:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: