Archinect
anchor

Best language to learn for architecture

justinritchey17

I am a 1st year architecture student pursuing a BS in architecture. After I graduate I want to get my MArch and an MBA in international business because I want to be an international architect. To get this MBA it requires knowledge in a foreign language and I currently have none. I go to UT San Antonio, so of course Spanish came to mind, however a lot of people in Texas know Spanish and it is their first language so there is no way I could know it better than them. I want my language to stand out at a firm and get me a job at an international firm in Texas, either Dallas, Houston or Austin since San Antonio has no international firms. UTSA offers classes in Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Japanese, and Russian. What is the best language to learn for a career as an architect and to get a job and stand out? Thanks for your help and time.

Nov 16, 14 1:45 pm
“””1991”

Latin

Nov 16, 14 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

bullshitting

Nov 16, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

English.

Nov 16, 14 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Don't waste your credits on language courses. If you want to learn a language then study abroad, intern abroad, travel abroad...I think you see what I'm getting at. A company will value that experience much more than taking a couple 3 credit classes. 

As far as picking one that will help your career...select the language of a place you'd actually like to live. If you're going to be "that guy" you're going to get shipped off to that place if you get work there. 

Oh and don't learn Spanish...especially since you live in Texas.  

Nov 16, 14 6:06 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thank you for your reply and advice. I might learn German because I am 75% German and 25% British. I also would like to work at Germany, Switzerland, or Austria. My school also offers study abroad in Berlin and Basel. 

Nov 16, 14 6:59 pm  · 
 · 
rodrigo91c
Geez. Freshman in college pursuing architecture. I'm not much older as I'm 23. But I remember like it was yesterday entering my first year at UT Austin (hook em) and now I'm entering my second year with a big firm.

You got long ways ahead and I hope you stick thru it because not too many thought I would!

As for a language, English is the only one that matters at the end of the day assuming you make it big.

Wish you luck.
Nov 16, 14 7:59 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Don't overthink this - the limited amount you learn studying foreign language in college isn't going to open any doors for you. It might be helpful if you decide to study abroad or travel, but working in a foreign language takes much more than you'll pick up in school. Pick a language that's spoken in places you want to visit - and plan to spend serious time in those places if you want to develop the skill.

I say this as an American working in China who has spent quite a while learning the language - do it because you enjoy it. It can have an impact on your career, but only if you really enjoy the culture and choose to make this a focus of your career. Native speakers will always speak their language better and even if you were fluent you would still depend on local architects to navigate the substantial differences in law and practice.

Spanish BTW wouldn't be a bad option. Latin America is a big place, and Spain is a great country with a rich architectural culture if you choose to study abroad. If you plan to remain in Texas, it could help you out on site visits and perhaps relating to clients for certain projects.

As to the MBA - do some more research into this. I'm not sure the typical "international MBA" is closely aligned to the needs of architectural practices, even large international ones. You should plan on interning for Gensler, RTKL, HOK or such to find out how they work, and what opportunities they have for working internationally. And take the opportunity to discuss with management there what kind of value such a graduate would have for them.

Nov 16, 14 11:22 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

"MBA in international business because I want to be an international architect. " HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAH. This is some funny shit.

You become an international architect by working on international projects, being reactive and respectful of other cultures and being on the ground. The MBA is worth nothing.

That said, if I could, I would learn Chinese if I were you. If practising in North/South America, you cant go wrong with spanish.

Nov 16, 14 11:37 pm  · 
 · 
Median

Python & Processing are the two languages you should be learning.

Nov 17, 14 1:34 am  · 
 · 
apapaz
Yeah learn mandarin if you can. That will help you get noticed at some nice firms in the west coast. You should decide if you want to be a business man or an architect. Getting an MBA isn't going to help you become an "international architect", your work will and the connections you make and when your ready to go to grad school pick either or, not both. Chances are you are only going to use one of those degrees so don't waste the money on two. Anyways your a freshman don't worry too much about these minor decision and go party while you still can.
Nov 17, 14 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
shivuy

Included with your education are advanced courses in archispeak.

Nov 17, 14 1:14 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

if you learn german you can go to school for free in germany

Nov 17, 14 2:34 pm  · 
 · 
IamGray

^ Is true for many European nations and languages.

Although Germany seems particularly popular for international students (I only ever met 1 US American, who studied at a uni in Germany though!) . 

Nov 18, 14 1:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: