Archinect
anchor

Full Image set of the $ 2 billion design by BIG for the Smithsonian in Washington DC

Cheers,

I have just received from BIG architects and the Smithsonian the full image pack of the new (really huge) re-development of the Smithsonian headquarters in Washington, DC. The project, which realization is expected to last from 10 to 20 years, beginning in 2016, completely redesigns the Smithsonian quarter on the Mall, with new connections between museums, the refurbishment of the Castle and a new underground building for public services. I prepared a coverage with some basic info and some of the photos BIG and the Smithsonian sent to me today.Here it it, if you want:

http://www.inexhibit.com/marker/smithsonian-big-unveil-2-billion-refurbishment-plan/

Nov 15, 14 2:43 pm
go do it

Those guys get all the good jobs.

Nov 16, 14 2:13 am  · 
 · 
Menona

It looks to me like a poor imitation of something OMA would do (and do much better). 

Does BIG have enough under their belt to properly effect a project of this type and size?  It's a shame that so many large government projects here go to foreign architects.  This project, the Adjaye Museum on the mall.  Where's the American Imagination?  I actually like a lot of what BIG does.  This... I'm just not a fan.  

Nov 16, 14 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

Although I like the added greenery and landscaping and what looks like a more efficient pedestrian traffic pattern, I am not a fan of the new visitor center. It may well be a very nice space once you are inside but the addition of a glass and steel whimsical structure to the Norman style of The Castle to me is out of place. To a certain extent the Louvre Pyramid has the same effect for me but being that it is of a basic geometric construction it feels not as intrusive. Maybe it could have been clad in another material with a bunch of geometric fenestrations. Glass pyramids are really cool though.

I also appreciate the desire of architects to avoid imitation and the appearance of kitsch while placing their design signature to projects for posterity. Somehow a balance should be made between the old and the new. 

Nov 16, 14 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

congratulations to big, but not impressive as past projects,

Nov 19, 14 7:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: