Archinect
anchor

Best math and science class for architecture major

justinritchey17

Hi, I am a first year architecture student and it is about that time of the year to schedule next semesters classes. I go to UT San Antonio and their new curriculum requires two natural science courses and one math course. UTSA used to require precal and physics last year, but now I can chose whatever math class and science class I want. I have a high math placement so I can take from algebra to calc. I also keep in mind that UTSA has gateway after first year and only so many students with the highest GPA will continue to 2nd year. The school has recommended algebra with applications and intro to environmental science I and II. Having taken APES (but no credit) and being good at algebra two in high school, I know I know I will get good grades for my GPA with those classes. However, after I get my BS.Arch at UTSA and if I go to a different grad school they might require physics and calc. I have taken preAP precal and regular algebraic physics in HS and I am good at math but I don't know if I want to take on that big of a load and I have never taken calc before. With all math and science classes in mind what 2 science classes and 1 math class should I take that will benefit architecture the best? Thanks for your input.

Nov 11, 14 5:39 pm
bugsmetoo

Take calculus and physics, at least the introductory courses first. These can be applied to other fields and are not limiting. I found geology to be interesting but you might like the ocean or skies or some other natural science.

Nov 11, 14 10:08 pm  · 
 · 

Overall I would advise to take the easiest classes possible to satisfy the requirements. I do not want you to limit your education, but architecture classes are demanding and you need to dedicate the majority of your time to architecture without being mentally exhausted from your other curriculum.

However, I saw another post of yours (I believe) and you were thinking of double majoring. If you realize after 1 year that architecture sucks and you want to major in another field (ie. engineering) check to see what core classes will be required to fulfill that major. If you would still have to take Physics and PreCalc, then perhaps enroll in those.

Furthermore, since UTSA Architecture is a pre-professional bachelors program, you will have to enroll in a Master's program (typically 2 years) at either UTSA or another school to ever become a licensed architect. As you stated, if you decide to obtain your Masters at another university, check with an advisor at another potential school (yes I know this is 4 years away, and you probably don't know where to attend) to see if a pre-professional bachelor's degree is all you need to enroll, or if you would have to satisfy additional core requirements (ie. PreCalc and Physics I & II)

Finally, most 2nd year architecture gateway programs have a weighted requirement of GPA in Architecture Studios, Architecture Portfolio, and overall GPA. Therefore, you should focus on your architecture classes, and don't enroll in the math and science classes that are the hardest, but the ones that interest you.

Nov 17, 14 6:33 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

Easy answer:  Ones you can ACE without breaking a sweat.  For me calc and physics weren't so bad, but it was a grave mistake to take trig (professor was bad).  So look into who's teaching, and know your strengths.  We did have an option to take other maths like stats, or the one I should've taken, computer science.  Frankly, you're gonna forget most of the math by the time you graduate...

Nov 17, 14 7:25 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

I went all the way to DiffEq and Linear Algebra during undergrad.

I don't regret it one bit. Yeah, tough courses, but the intuition that getting to that level of math gives you lasts forever. It's especially useful if you run very large quantitative program models in a planning setting (I work at a fairly large firm).

Nov 22, 14 6:49 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: