Archinect
anchor

Advice on Architecture school

justinritchey17

I am currently a first year architecture student at UT San Antonio, working towards my masters and my architecture license. At UTSA their program is a BS.Arch + M.Arch, however UTSA's curriculum is very different  from other schools and their architecture program is barely in the top 100 and ranked last in Texas. I want to stay in San Antonio because this is where I live, so I can stay at home and save money and tuition costs a lot less. But, the courses are dramatically different from UT Austin, the hub of the UT schools. Am I getting what I paid for? When I graduate will I be as prepared as other school graduates or will new grads from Austin and Houston swoop down in San Antonio and take all of the jobs? Will employers hire from UTSA or rather from UT, UH, and Rice? I  would like to stay at San Antonio so should I  get my BS.Arch at UTSA and then go to a different grad school like UT or Rice or should I transfer now? Also should I get a background in something else in the field to help me stand out? At one time I wanted to dual major in civil engineering or construction science and management but it took too long at UTSA. I am a natural designer but I want to learn math, science, sustainability, construction and business as well. I am just not sure if UTSA will provide that. At UT I could take a dual major in a B.Arch and BS. in Architectural Engineering, what I originally thought about, and will provide me all of these skills. Will this be impressive for architecture or engineering firms? This program is 6 years just as long as a M.Arch at UTSA. The only difference is at UTSA I would have a masters, while at UT I would has a B.Arch and knowledge in engineering. Should I stay at UTSA and get a M.Arch there or elsewhere or should I transfer and get a B.Arch and BS. in engineering? Thank you for your time.

Nov 10, 14 2:41 pm
“””1991”

"I am a natural designer"

lol. A freshman saying that....you just made my day

Nov 10, 14 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
vonzippa

what does being a freshman have anything to do with be a natural designer?  There have been great artist at an early age - call it natural talent, or being gifted, or whatever.  Labron James was a natural basketball player as a freshman - and that was in high school.  I don't understand why folks on this site pick the smallest things out of legitimate posts to comment on.  Why can't people just answer the question and provide help, or just not comment at all.

Nov 10, 14 3:17 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

I don't think there's been a LeBron James of architecture in a very long time. Maybe we're overdue.

But to make a long story short, go somewhere else for your MArch. Or if you can transfer now I would try for A&M, UT or UH.

Nov 10, 14 3:27 pm  · 
 · 
vonzippa

LOL, ok you're probably right.  Hard to top King James.

FYI - "natural designer" = where/what the OP feels the most comfortable doing, and probably not talent level.  At least that's how I read it.

Anyway, I don't know enough to help here, but good luck justinritchey17                     

Nov 10, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thanks for your reply. Would a dual major in architectural engineering and architecture be worth it if I did that route at UT? Could I find more job opportunities and be a licensed architect and engineer?

Nov 10, 14 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
“””1991”

If he were so "talented" he wouldn't be in San Antonio now, would he?

Nov 10, 14 3:47 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

I like how the OP said:  "I am currently a first year architecture student at UT San Antonio, working towards my masters and my architecture license"  

Good god man...how do you know you are even going to like architecture in a couple of years?...let alone 10 or 12?  You haven't even worked in the field yet.  Lets see how you feel after working under a narcissistic clod for a few years.   

You will probably choose to go to law/med school instead.  Make sure you get some work in before you go get your masters for this reason alone...

Nov 10, 14 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
vonzippa

Rick+roll, what's with you?  Nothing in the original post lets any of us know how talented, or untalented, the OP is.  The OP is just asking for help, not some useless sarcastic post like yours. 

While chigurh comment has a ring of sarcasm to it, at least it has some suggestions/opinions that the OP may or may not use.

Your comments are simply useless.

Nov 10, 14 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ

Obvious troll is obvious...moving on...

OP sounds young and ambitious(a bit naive but who wasn't as a freshman), I guarantee he/she doesn't know much about design after half a semester but they have goals and things to shoot for. Why stifle them? 

I have not been impressed with UTSA after attending Texfab there and going to grad school in Texas where the lone UTSA student was kicked out. However, that doesn't mean that you can't get into a great MArch program or even transfer now. If you still love design after 2 years then keep going, if you have any doubts take what you learned and move on. 

Nov 10, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thank you for your time and advice. Should I just focus on architecture or should I dual major in engineering as well to broaden my skills and knowledge when looking for a job or practicing architecture? I know it would difficult and time consuming and I might not even get in UT, but would it be worth my time?

Nov 10, 14 4:50 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

dual major...it will give you a way out of the field if you decide you don't like it...

Nov 10, 14 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

I would just go for a BArch if I had to do it all over again. If you still want a MArch, figure out which path costs the least.. If your current school is an affordable option for the BS.Arch then do it and go elsewhere for your masters. 

Also look at programs and see which offers a good education. In the end it's about what you learned and achieved vs what school you went to.

Nov 10, 14 5:16 pm  · 
 · 
justinritchey17

Thank you for your reply, I think I will stay at UTSA and the BS.Arch for now since it is alot cheaper then UT's B.Arch. After I graduate then I will go then a better program for my M.Arch. Maybe by then UTSA's program will have improved and I won't have to leave. UTSA is ranked the top 10 architecture school by students by graduateprograms.com.

Nov 10, 14 6:00 pm  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

Where did you find this ranking that goes to a 100+ I have never seen that one only like the DI ones that go to top 20....

Nov 10, 14 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
apapaz
Check out the pass rates from that school for the ARE and compare them to one's that you've been thinking of transferring to.

http://www.ncarb.org/ARE/ARE-Pass-Rates/Pass-Rates-by-School/2013-v4.aspx
Nov 11, 14 4:00 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Dual majors are a double edged sword. If you decide you don’t like arch or have a hard time finding a job, then it’s great. Most people I know who stuck to the industry and did duals said it was a waste of their time and money.

It has been said a million times that the work you do is more telling than the school you went to, but really people do better work at some schools for any number of reasons, many of which are not just personal. Look at the work of students from the schools you are considering. Look at the faculty’s work. Look at the general caliber of students going  to each school.

Nov 12, 14 12:57 am  · 
 · 
Archinectologist

A few more tips on how to select a Graduate School:

Location: Is the program in a place with great architecture?  How far from home? How different from your undergraduate University?

Reputation: How does it fare in the rankings?  Do you know good architects who went there? Remember that the Design Intelligence Rankings are heavily based on the answers professionals give to this question:  "Which schools are best preparing students for success in the profession?  Do you want to choose a school that is "best" at preparing students for the profession?  Did the people responding to the question answer based on hiring entry-level people or were they thinking long-range?

Finance:  Some schools appear expensive, but offer deep scholarships.  Others appear less expensive and nickel-and-dime you to death.

Size:  Some big programs have lots of opportunities for elective courses.  Bigger can mean more choices, but less personal attention.  Bigger and smaller are different, but not "better and worse."  You need to match you.

Curriculum: Do you need an accredited M.ARCH for licensure, or do you already have the B.ARCH?  Do they focus on the things you are interested in?

Nov 13, 14 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
_wander

I agree with @toosaturated. I think B.Arch is the definite way to go although it may cost more up front. Many employers now are selective about hiring professional degree candidates though I do not know how lenient they are on that. BSArch is not a professional degree, only a pre-professional one. 4 years is already a long time, and many students have different ideas of which path they eventually want to go. 

Nov 15, 14 5:14 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: