Archinect
anchor

PORTFOLIO CRIT

evanli93

Here's is my portfolio i used to apply for exchange from sydney to hk. The thing is I'm graduating after this semester and may want to work in HK. Please let me know what you think of the portfolio thanks!

http://issuu.com/fanli1/docs/port_d1raft/0

Nov 6, 14 9:44 am
midlander

Hi Evan - it's a start, but needs work if you want to stand out. Are you looking for a long-term job or just an internship?

First, you only show 1 building design project in here. To find a job it would be good if you had more building designs. Planning is a big part of an architect's work and it's hard to judge how well you can handle that from only a single housing project. If this is the only building design you have, I think you need to consider doing some project outside of school that shows what else you can do. High rise housing, or a cultural center / museum, or office / classroom spaces - whatever interests you, but find a real site and realistic program for it.

For each project, include some kind of title page. Right now the projects aren't clearly separated and it's hard to figure out quickly where one starts.

On that first page have a key image like an overall model view or rendering and general description of the project. Follow that with some explanation of the organizing concept for the building - why did you plan it the way you did, what are the important features of this project? Also include a site plan so we can understand the location. Right now you only include the finished drawings - sketches or diagrams that explain your thinking are very valuable.

For each project include enlarged floorplans that show how you lay out the spaces. The cut-away model view you have for the housing is too small and doesn't have any labels. Every level should have a plan (for small buildings like the housing) and probably an overall site plan with the roof.

Each project also needs construction details that show how you think this building would be built. The generic details you include at the end are the right format, but it's more important to provide details for each project to show you can think about detailing for a specific design.

Based on what's in here I think you do good quality work. But you really need to show more projects and provide more information about the context and the details of each design to show you can think like an architect.

Your models are nice. If you're only looking for a short-term internship you could probably find work helping a firm that needed model builders. Good luck.

Nov 6, 14 11:00 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: