Archinect
anchor

Does your undergrad matter after an M.Arch?

aayala96

Hi guys. I'm planning on doing a 4 year Bachelors of Fine Arts in Architecture at UMass Amherst, along with minor or double major in Building Construction Technology. Afterwards, I plan on getting my masters at a better, more prestigious school. UMass is simply the cheapest, most sensical option for undergrad, as it is my state school. Although UMass only offers a BFA and isn't very well known, I figured a masters at like Cornell or Georgia Tech would kinda cancel out my subpar undergrad degree. What do you guys think? Also, what are some of the more technically oriented grad programs to add on to my art/design oriented undergrad? Thanks guys!

Nov 5, 14 5:53 pm
SpatialSojourner

Whatever is the most affordable option is best.  I wouldn't be so disgruntled about "subpar" universities, in the end; it's about the quality of your portfolio (And I personally don't think of UMass as subpar).  I went to a Midwestern school that seems to make people on the East Coast look at me strangely but I've beaten out two Harvard and a MIT grads for jobs with just my BS degree.  I'm heading to grad school soon, but I'm hoping to go to one where I don't get strange looks and told that it's just a fly over state. 

There are lots of technical-oriented schools.  The most common: Cincinnati, UTSOA, Cal Poly, K-State, ect. I would say don't get too caught up in grad school already.  In these four years, your plans will change.  You could hate arch and drop it or you could love and thrive and end up at the GSD.  Produce work that you enjoy doing and let the rest fall into place.

Nov 5, 14 6:29 pm  · 
 · 
School is what you put into it, and what you make it. With the right amount of agency you can make your experience top notch no matter where you are.

Schools help with networking and to an extent visibility. If you want to go to a school near where you'll end up in the real world, that may help. For me going to Tulane and ending up in Chicago I didn't really have a network to help land a job (we're working on establishing that up here).

As for your school of choice: my most valued mentor went to UMass Amherst before heading to Yale.
Nov 7, 14 8:10 am  · 
 · 
ARCHCareersGuide.com

I would suggest contact UMass Amherst and inquire where their graduates go for graduate studies.  I appreciate that it may be less expensive, but will your credentials and portfolio be adequate for admission for your chosen programs?

Also, contact your chosen graduate programs and inquire what they look for in their applicants.  They may suggest you take more of a particular course.

Nov 23, 14 6:38 pm  · 
 · 
the orange menace

I agree with most of what is said above, but to actually answer your question: no, not really. While I would agree with Spatial that UMASS isn't "sub-par", I see what you're getting at and think it isn't an issue. For starters, you're not getting a BArch - I don't think you'll be judged for a non-professional, non-architectural degree. But more importantly, if you get a master's degree in architecture that will be the degree people take into account. Especially since you're at UMASS - we have a good state school system in the Commonwealth, and Amherst is the flagship. Be proud of the good, affordable undergraduate education you're receiving and then go all out for your master's.

Nov 25, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

For your undergrad the quality is far more important than the name.

Nov 25, 14 3:43 pm  · 
 · 
no_form
I went through that exact program at Umass. It's very design oriented. There are lots of talented people there on faculty. I went to grad school in the Midwest afterwards and my classmates went to Taubman, Columbia, and GSD afterwards. It's all about what you make of the experience. You also get to be part of the 5 college network. Ask Umass admissions counselors about it. Would tell you more. Send private message. And yes, I'm employed in the city I love and at an office with awesome people. So you'll find a job and be well prepared after Umass.
Nov 25, 14 3:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: