Archinect
anchor

Applying to MArch programs in Canada - Non-Design Background - Help!

rau5

Thank you for taking the time to read this post and any advice or input is very much appreciated. 

I have taken a interest in Architecture in the last couple of months and have been thinking about it seriously as a career choice. I have been doing lots of research and am aware that the profession is often over romanticized, the pay is not so great starting out, and that the industry cyclical. Weighing these factors, I am still not deterred. I think the work that architects do and the value that they add to society makes the the career worthwhile. 

---------Background-----------------

I am 24 years old and live and work in Toronto. I graduated from York University 2 years ago with a degree in Business and Society specializing in the environment. The degree was very well rounded and I learned a lot about social, environmental, political problems, history, economics, capitalist structure ex. I have always been creative and needed to channel this energy so I loaded up on electives that would allowed me to do that. I took courses like Flamenco Guitar, Acting, Greek Mythology and film studies. 

I did fairly well and made the Dean's list in my last year. My overall average for the last year sits between a B+/A- and my last two years put me roughly at a B+. 

-------Fast-Track------------

After I graduated I did some soul searching for a year and looked into a variety of different Masters programs. After little success of finding something that fit I decided it would be best to work for a bit. I got a job with a renewable energy developer that develops solar energy programs in Ontario. In a project coordinator role, I learned a bit about zoning, planning, construction, municipal relations, site design ex. However I still could not satisfy my creative itch. 

I don't know why I never thought about Architecture earlier. I guess I assumed that you need more of a technical background (engineering or similar) to apply. Recently I discovered that was not the case at all and realized that some Canadian Universities welcome applicants from all types of different backgrounds. 

-------Where to go from here-------

From my understanding the MArch programs that remain possible for me to apply to are: U of T, UBC, University of Calgary and, Carleton. I could potentially also go to Dalhousie and enter into their 2 year bachelor program and then get into their 2 year Master's right after but that is my last choice. The other schools I believe all require a non-professional degree in Architecture to get in or are French speaking. 

I feel a bit overwhelmed at the moment and have loads of questions and would love to hear from you folks about what you think of my overall situation and if a career switch is a viable option. 

I think my grades make me a competitive applicant however I barely have anything ready to submit as a portfolio at the moment. I am not too intimidated by putting something together, it just has been a while and I am feeling rushed since most of the deadlines are January 15th if I want to make it for Sept. 2015 class. 

I know that I am not that old, however it would be discouraging having to wait another year at a chance to apply.

Anyone care to offer some input? 

Nov 3, 14 11:28 am
Non Sequitur

rau5, most of the canadian institutions will require you to complete a 1year qualifying term prior to entering their 2y master's program since you do not have a BAS. This is not a bad thing as it will teach you basic studio design as well as throw you into advance construction classes. Essentially, you'll be completing 4th year architecture school.

What you need to know is how each school's degree is structured. Some schools rely heavily on independent thesis work while others do not and offer more courses to compensate. Grades do not hold as much weight as one would think and even half-decent portfolios will make the admittance committee overlook bad grades.

Get that portfolio rolling, it's what's important.

Nov 3, 14 11:58 am  · 
 · 
rau5

Thank you for advice. Yes the Masters programs I would be applying to are all 3 or 3.5 year programs with an extra "catch up year" that I would need to do. 

I will have to look more in depth at the structure of the schools. Do you recommend someone from a non-design background go into a more thesis based school or one that emphasizes course work more? Can you provide your insight as to why? 

I am already on the portfolio! Already wishing I had started... WAY sooner. 

Nov 5, 14 11:09 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

rau5, the reason I suggested looking into programs with more course loads than independent research is that since you've got no relevant academic background in architecture, it will be difficult to keep the pace with your fellow grad students.  This will also help you in finding office work once you graduate. Just know that a graduate student who can't describe and correctly detail wall assemblies leaving school is unemployable.

There are not that many Canadian schools to choose from anyways but I'm more than a few years removed from grad-school and I doubt I am current in each institutions' specific strengths anymore. Best for you to call directly their grad department and ask for a syllabus.

On another note, I've noticed another post by you looking for Canadian students in US schools... My comment, don't bother. American school pedigree only works if you're looking to teach. The cost is never worth it (one US semester can easily equal 3 years' tuition at home) plus, if you plan on completing the intern process in Canada, best learn how to practice in Canada.

Nov 6, 14 8:40 am  · 
 · 
sam goods

Each one of the schools you listed has a certain reputation in terms of its approach, methodology, even "ideology" (strong word, I know) in architecture. 

In order to offer you advice it would be good to know what you are trying to get out of your education, what it is that interests you in the field, where you want to practice afterwards.

Nov 10, 14 4:54 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: