Archinect
anchor

Drawing floorplans... there must be a better solution! Advice needed,

BenjaminElias

Hi Everyone,

So I do understand that there may be no replacement for a tape measure. But after being somewhat impressed by an app you can get on your smartphone called RoomScan (its not that accurate, but its good), I figure that there must be other options than my trusty tape. I currently measure and draw in Cheif Architect if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to learning from this apparently awesome community!

Ben

Nov 3, 14 1:24 pm
shellarchitect

have you looked into unpaid interns?

Nov 3, 14 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

point cloud scanning

Nov 3, 14 1:46 pm  · 
 · 
shivuy

My brother asked the same question when he bought his house. Apparently tape measurers are too archaic these days? Hopefully Autodesk will release their automatic parametric measuring system in the newest version of Revit.

He enjoyed using this app called Magic Plan. I saw a video for it when they were developing it but never tried it out.

Nov 3, 14 3:26 pm  · 
 · 
x intern

some of the high end lasers are pretty impressive.  the low end has a pretty high margin of error.  I've even seen lasers that will draw the plan if you measure in some predefined way. 

Nov 3, 14 3:34 pm  · 
 · 

Hire an architect.

Nov 3, 14 3:52 pm  · 
 · 
Menona

I've used one of these.  Bought it at Lowes.  works pretty well.  $100 or so.

Bosch Laser Distance

Don't waste any money on the "Acoustical" type distance gauge.  Just spend the extra $90 and get the good one.

Nov 3, 14 4:21 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Just measure your foot, still works for me.

Did theater work and used consultants that brought-in a magic box and laser scanned the whole theater in a day, saved a week of time, twice that when you consider the drawing involved. Have a Fluke-419D Laser Distance Meter, works great – best part is you can work alone, no dumb guy at the other end – wife rejoiced when I bought it.

Nov 3, 14 4:55 pm  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

I guess the answer is:  How much do you want to spend?

Nov 3, 14 5:01 pm  · 
 · 

My experience with Room Scan is that it was wildly inaccurate, would never give the same dimension twice.

A good laser distance thingey will do a good job for large spaces.  For details, like trimwork, you need a tape.

In my many years of measuring homes for remodel I found the absolute most efficient way to do it was to draw in CAD as I went.  No sketching it on paper then transcribing - do it right in the computer as you measure.

Nov 3, 14 8:29 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

what do you charge for such an as built?

Nov 4, 14 12:06 am  · 
 · 
gruen
I have a Bosch laser. Love it. I carry a 25' tape-some things are easier w a tape.
Nov 4, 14 6:55 am  · 
 · 
Bench

Our office used a combination of tape + laser. Seemed to work pretty well, and we did a lot of historical restoration/additions. I agree with Donna,  bring a laptop and start getting it all into a CAD file immediately. Poorly sketching is asking for misinformation (although we got really detailed with our as-builts, so maybe for something smaller/less detailed this isn't so important?)

I'm skeptical of RoomScan for now. I think there is a lot of potential once they figure out better diagnostics though.

Nov 4, 14 10:52 am  · 
 · 
proto

+3 on bosch laser (& tape & draft on site)

teach a student to do it and pay them for as-builts

they learn something (& get paid!) & you get accurate drawings (once they're up to speed)

Nov 4, 14 1:57 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

To rephrase my question, at what point would it make sense to outsource the measured drawing process? Is there a building type where scale or complexity dont allow for a tape measure to capture the critical data? Is an Architects time better spent in the various stages of design and coordination? How does firm size impact these variables?

Nov 5, 14 3:46 pm  · 
 · 
proto

wurdan freo

i'd always rather be drawing new stuff, but life doesn't always let you choose based on what makes you happy

it just boils down to when you're better off paying someone else to do it

A - when i've got tons of billable work and i'm not worried about losing out on billable hours, i delegate it.

B - if i'm slow, i don't throw away the task so that i can stay billable even if it's pretty tedious.

re: too big -- i'd probably first assess on A vs B and then reflect on my critical path and see if i have time to get it done along with whatever else needs doing that i'm more uniquely qualified to do

(same criteria works for larger offices)

Nov 5, 14 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
tuna

In the future, remote control drones measure buildings for us. But then they get self-aware and try to exterminate the human race.

Nov 6, 14 4:28 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

We outsourced our as-built measurements when the site was too far to make it worth while. Otherwise - rookie's turn!

Nov 6, 14 5:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: