Archinect
anchor

design service fees

woodshop

Hello all!

(Preface : I just wrote this whole post and accidentally deleted it... I feel like it always sounds less intelligible the second time around...) 

I am new to this forum and community, so please forgive me if this information can be found elsewhere.

Just some background prior to my inquiry... I graduated a few years ago with a B. Arch and have been working at a firm in Los Angeles for the last two. I am currently in the process of taking my exams now that I have completely the IDP requirements, but am probably 6-12 months away from licensure.

A friend has asked me to help out with a commercial TI and provide design services. As a non-licensed designer, I know that I cannot accept responsibility for construction documents and the life-safety of the project. Given my status, I was going to offer initial services (programming, schematic design, design development), but was going to suggest that he hire a structural engineer to provide construction documents and details. Is this a feasible way to move forward?

I am also curious about fees for design services. My firm typically charges 10% of the total construction cost of a project for full-architetural services. Obviously, the scope of work that I would be providing would be quite a bit more limited. Are there any general rules of thumb when it comes to setting rates for design?

I don't know many people who are licensed and practicing, so I am hoping that someone on here can provide some insight. Any advise for a future-architect would be greatly appreciate!

Thanks for taking the time to read.

Nov 2, 14 4:56 pm
midlander

What kind of firm are you at that you don't know anyone licensed and practicing? That basically is the whole point of IDP.

I hate to neglect your original question but I've never done tenant interiors so couldn't say what's appropriate. What is your friend's role in this work?

Nov 2, 14 9:04 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

10% sounds really high for a commercial TI...developers and business owners are typically cheap as shit and will shop around to get a fee that is the lowest, regardless of design capability.  

If you are just doing schematics and programming, you can probably get a couple grand for that, don't waste your time moving into design development, because your client will probably cheap out on a bunch of shit when they start moving forward with somebody that is really going to execute the project for permit and CDs.

You might be getting involved with something that is going to be more headache than it is worth...working for a friend...TI...fees...state board disciplinary action...sounds like a bad combo....I guess it depends on the friend.  

Nov 2, 14 9:47 pm  · 
 · 
woodshop

What kind of firm are you at that you don't know anyone licensed and practicing? That basically is the whole point of IDP.

I meant outside of my office, to ask these types of "personal project" questions. Most of my friends are all still young and very green.

10% sounds really high for a commercial TI...developers and business owners are typically cheap as shit and will shop around to get a fee that is the lowest, regardless of design capability.  

This is probably true... my firm does high end residential (hence the 10%). I guess at this point, I'd just try to come up with a reasonable fee to provide some initial programming and schematic design and then he can take it from there. You think a base fee of a couple thousand seems reasonable for some schematic drawings and maybe a sketch 3D model?

Thanks again.

Nov 3, 14 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

yea...I was gonna guess you were in residential based on that fee.

just run an hourly calc...how long are you going to spend on the schematics?  I would say like 2-4k would be fair...depending on how many times you re-work the thing...

Nov 3, 14 2:46 pm  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

"2-4k would be fair"... based on what exactly? You don't even know how big the space is. 

Nov 3, 14 3:18 pm  · 
 · 
el jeffe
I've done TI's with one sheet and with thirty sheets.
simply calling it a TI doesn't come close to defining what the scope of work is.
advice: step 1 - read the lease.
Nov 3, 14 3:42 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

@ tint...ha...true...could be a walmart for all I know...Just assumed it was a smaller retail space or something based on the original post.  

Nov 3, 14 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
woodshop

Sorry for the lack of clarity...

It is a project that has a huge range depending on the property they acquire, but likely will be a 9,000-20,000 SF warehouse with repetitive modular shipping container offices inside. 

Nov 3, 14 8:40 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Sounds like your potential client isn't too clear on what they're looking for yet. See if they'll agree to an hourly rate to do studies for them on potential properties and programming while they work this out. It wouldn't make sense to set a fee or scope until the site and scale are settled.

Nov 3, 14 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: