Archinect
anchor

Interview with LTL Architect's Paul Lewis on starting up the practice.

"We made the argument that when you start a practice, that is assuming you want to build and not just do drawings Lebbeus Woods’ style, that there are five models of finding financial support. The first is that you are born wealthy, which a fair number of architects start out this way. The second is you win a major competition, which isn’t really an option in the United States. I cannot remember with the possible exception of maybe Maya Lynn, anyone who has jump-started his or her career in the United States with a competition. The third is that you work for someone endlessly until you work your way up the latter to make partner somehow. The fourth is you work there long enough to establish yourself to be able to take clients. That wasn’t something we wanted to do. It took too long. Or the last is that you teach. That is exactly what we did." - Paul Lewis (LTL Architects)

Read the full interview.

In the Fall of 2013, I sat down with Gregg Pasquarelli (SHoP), Brad Cloepfil (Allied Works), Paul Lewis (Lewis.Tsurumaki.Lewis Architects), Dan Wood (Work.AC), and Stephen Cassell (Architecture Research Office). I wanted to understand and document how each of them formed their respective offices. I was after the nitty gritty details not typically published in the glossy magazines. I was looking for the hard times, the struggle, and the projects that were never published, but paid the bills. This interview is part three of a series of 5 posts that will go through each of these architects and discuss the these topics. 

Nov 2, 14 2:58 pm
arifj

These interviews are awesome, thanks for posting these!

Nov 2, 14 5:46 pm  · 
 · 
Alien 8

Seconded!

Nov 2, 14 6:09 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

Interesting to read how involved they were with getting those little restaurant interiors built. Glad they were able to avoid getting typecast for that sort of work. Its something I would worry about going on my own too.

Its refreshing to read about good firms that managed to get past just scraping by and succeed through real effort. I think actually some posters here are too cynical in thinking architecture is a hobby for the rich - most good firms I know have been run by people who worked their way up.

I can recall back in school a professor who drove a beaten down 20+ year old oldsmobile which he entered from the passenger side because the drivers side door was too bent to open. Now the firm he co-founded is in all the magazines, 60+ people doing high profile cultural and commercial work. I assume he can upgrade to at least a new Camry or something. Good luck to anyone tough enough to put up with all that for 10 years while starting up.

Nov 3, 14 8:16 am  · 
 · 
haruki

"We made the argument that when you start a practice, that is assuming you want to build and not just do drawings Lebbeus Woods’ style, that there are five models of finding financial support. The first is that you are born wealthy, which a fair number of architects start out this way. The second is you win a major competition, which isn’t really an option in the United States. I cannot remember with the possible exception of maybe Maya Lynn, anyone who has jump-started his or her career in the United States with a competition. The third is that you work for someone endlessly until you work your way up the latter to make partner somehow. The fourth is you work there long enough to establish yourself to be able to take clients. That wasn’t something we wanted to do. It took too long. Or the last is that you teach. That is exactly what we did." - Paul Lewis (LTL Architects)

I've been thinking a lot about their five models for starting a practice and applying it to all the people I know who have their own office. It really seems spot on! Sadly the vast majority of people I know fall into the born, married, and in one case divorced wealthy model. I fall into the fourth model. It has taken a long time but it seems to be working out for me finally. 

Nov 9, 14 6:41 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: