Archinect
anchor

Doesn't the title- "Registered Architect" sound a lot like "Registered Nurse"?

BulgarBlogger

Title are just titles... but as sophisticated professionals, I thought we would have come up with a better-sounding title... even Professional Engineer sounds better... 

Oct 31, 14 4:32 pm

Fits pretty well actually, as architects tend to have a nurse-like relationship with their clients.

Oct 31, 14 4:39 pm  · 
 · 
shivuy

Supreme Master of The Built Environment?

Dictator of the Design Dojo?

Or architects could adapt the title attributed to them by the subcontractor I first worked for doing CAD drawings: The Goddamn Architect, also known as the Retarded Architect (RA).

Oct 31, 14 4:48 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

All you have to say is "architect"  'nough said

Oct 31, 14 7:30 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

But there is no such thing as an "Unregistered Architect" is there?

Oct 31, 14 7:33 pm  · 
 · 
quizzical

I think we should adopt "admitted to the bar"

Another round, please. Cheers !

Oct 31, 14 8:51 pm  · 
 · 
midlander

petty complaint. No reason to dis nurses. More than architects they actually do protect public health and welfare, and often at personal risk.

How about CPArch- Certified Public Architect? Accounting seems a lot like architecture in its prestige, pay, and relation to the public.

Oct 31, 14 8:56 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

A medical student who completes medical school is called "Doctor" and puts MD after his name. At the completion his residency there is no change. Law students who complete law school are called JD or Juris Doctor. After passing their bar exams they are called "Attorney at Law" . The architecture profession, which is supposed to have a creative element to it, has not been able to come up with a name for the students who graduate from approved architectural schools. Talk about a total lack of imagination. In any event, the tern "Registered Architect" is redundant.

Oct 31, 14 9:16 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

I dunno - I hear registered nurses make pretty good money...

Oct 31, 14 9:37 pm  · 
 · 
geezertect

Beats registered sexual predator

Oct 31, 14 9:59 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Landscape architects recently went to pla--professional/project landscape architect, aligning the profession more with engineers...I don't like it. But I've given up on trying to my entire profession, focusing on my own skill set, even if the boundaries are blurry. Designer pretty much works for me.

Nov 1, 14 12:47 am  · 
 · 
Larchinect

"Trying to sell the entire profession..." Is what I meant

Nov 1, 14 12:48 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The current situation gives the impression that the architectural establishment does not have any respect or regard for the young student who gives five years of his life before graduating from the approved schools. It also gives the impression that the establishment has no regard or respect for the approved schools themselves.

Nov 1, 14 7:58 am  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I agree with you entirely, Volunteer.

The establishment doesn't have respect or regard for these schools because many of them do not marry the design and the technical in a way that prepares young architects for the realities of the profession. Case in point: a thesis award winner from Harvard may be hired because of his academic work, but then be stuck doing bathroom or kitchen details for a few months. Its not that the schools are bad, its just that they focus on either design and theory or architectural technology. Its kind of sad because to be a good architect, you can't just be stuck in grasshopper or Revit. You have to be well rounded in everything from design theory to detailing and building science. The profession seems to rely too much in the Intern Development Program to bridge this gap. I believe this objective needs to be accomplished in school.

Nov 1, 14 2:20 pm  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

John Doe BOA.....aka Brotherhood of Architecture.

Jane Doe SOA  aka Sisterhood of Architecture.

Nov 1, 14 4:30 pm  · 
 · 
LITS4FormZ
Still the best pick-up line ever...."I'm an architect"
Nov 1, 14 7:50 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

It does, apart from the fact that Nurses are much more important than architects.

Nov 1, 14 8:31 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I think I agree with the good doctor above: when's the last time any of us sutured an open wound, administered an IV solution, or jump-started a stopped heart?

Let's hope that nurses aren't offended by the similarity in title.

Nov 2, 14 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

all registered architects should be given the name "art vandelay."  aspiring architects, interns, and those who have graduated from accredited architecture schools can then be referred to as 'architect.'  so when your owner or contractor says 'meet with the architect,' it is with an unlicensed entity, but when they say 'meet with the architect art vandelay' it means real business is going to happen.  it would be difficult to change drivers licenses and emails and such upon changing your name when you get licensed, and obviously spouses would not be allowed to assume the name 'vandelay,' but it would be worth the required sacrifices to clarify the distinction among the titles.

Nov 2, 14 6:47 pm  · 
 · 

Everybody except architects know that architect is a bogus title. 

Barely half a step up from decorator.

Nov 2, 14 10:19 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^ I think you have confused architect with interior-designer.

Nov 3, 14 8:44 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

it takes 2 -3 years including school to become a nurse. it takes 8-10 years to become an architect.  the public doesn't take us seriously because we greatly exaggerate our role as guardians of hsw and greatly minimize our role as artists and designers.  

Nov 3, 14 10:57 am  · 
 · 

jla-x,

We are interior designers, space planners, exterior designers, structural designers, etc. all in one.

Nov 3, 14 12:25 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

jla-x is right. We need to accept the fact that we are indeed closer to art than to any form of health safety. Perhaps then we could get a little more respect for being honest, at least.

Nov 4, 14 1:31 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

At this moment, I'd be more inclined to trust a freshly graduate nurse with drafting than an architectural intern since the former does not come with entitlement baggage.

I also think a registered nurse could set up some sort of coffee IV drip. Hey-ho!

Nov 4, 14 8:26 am  · 
 · 

Java Nation is a 2 minute walk from me. The only problem with it is that occasionally some architects go there.

Nov 4, 14 10:00 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Nursing is increasingly a four-year degree. Some nurses are qualified to prescribe drugs for patents.

Nov 4, 14 10:05 am  · 
 · 

Architects should be allowed to prescribe drugs for their clients.

Instead we're stuck with self-medication.

Nov 4, 14 10:07 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

nurses also make way more money 

Nov 4, 14 10:43 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

architect is to builder as chef is to cook.  the title implies specialty not necessity.  once we learn to embrace that we will all be better off.  

Nov 4, 14 11:15 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Personally, I'd rather have nurses make 80K min than interns. They are much more useful.

Nov 4, 14 11:37 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

You are better off with a good nurse than a bad doctor and better off with a good builder than a bad architect.

Nov 4, 14 11:59 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

^they are.  i agree. they also actually save lives.  architects enhance life at the most.  like I said, we are on par with chefs.  we elevate the basic need for shelter into art as chefs elevate the basic need for food into art.  chefs and cooks actually pose a far greater danger to the hsw of the public.  something like 10,000 deaths per year are due to food bourne illness.  death by architecture or even builder grade crapitecture is minimal in comparison.   

Nov 4, 14 12:07 pm  · 
 · 

architect is to builder as chef is to cook

No. The chef worked his way up through the ranks in commercial kitchens. You can be an architect without ever having set foot on a construction site.

With the dismal quality of architects being produced today it is probably a good idea to register them and warn the areas they move into.

Nov 4, 14 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Architects should emulate the Japanese chefs who prepare an exotic seafood dish that if not done just right will kill the customer. If the customer goes tits-up the chef is obligated to commit seppuku and disembowel himself.

Nov 4, 14 12:13 pm  · 
 · 

Offing some clients could be considered a public service.

Nov 4, 14 12:29 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: