Archinect
anchor

design/build wackiness

gruen

OK, so I've been in business for about a year - sole prop - residential. Along the way, I've bumped into a couple of projects where the owners shopped my drawings (without me knowing) to design/build firms before I was done with schematic design. This inevitably ends up with me losing the project to the design/build firm, because they need to produce the construction drawings as part of their process. Luckily in both instances I was getting paid hourly - so I didn't lose money - but I did lose future work and control of the project because of this. 

Has anyone successfully avoided - or harnessed - this process? I'm sure not going to start a design/build firm myself, just not interested in it right now. 

In one case, the clients & project completely disappeared. In the other, the client is keeping me involved in a project management sense and I'll have some control over the final product, but won't be getting the work of producing the contract docs. This D/B company is more of a prefab company, so I'm almost wondering if I can manage it right, that it'd be a great option for some clients in the future. 

In both cases, I didn't have a contract up front except for hourly work for design. I'm not upset about either project, but am wondering how to manage it in the future. 

Oct 31, 14 12:45 pm
mightyaa

Not a lot you can do.  Some of it is vetting your clients upfront; Over the years, you'll sort develop a sixth sense for the low ballers based on where they seem to focus.  Some of it is relationship building; goes with that sixth sense because if they see you as a friend, they are more likely to be upfront with you. 

I also have a list of GC's I can partner with... it's a good network thing too since they can send stuff my way as well.  So one of the first conversations is getting them to think about various delivery methods; Traditional, DB, fast track, etc.  and the pro's and con's including impact to fees.  Essentially, I can be competitive with DB and have arrangements with GC's where I'm paid through them if need be. 

Oct 31, 14 12:59 pm  · 
 · 

^ What mightya said. Offer competitive services with an independent contractor.

Oct 31, 14 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
gwharton

It's the wave of the future.

Oct 31, 14 3:04 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: