Archinect
anchor

Advice on getting back to work!! Need sponsoring

Anybody here has had luck getting work in the US on an H4 visa?

I need to apply for a different visa but to do so, first I need a letter of employment which is seems almost impossible. Technically an H4 visa states I'm a dependent on my husband's work but I'm going out of my mind.

I've been living in Chicago for the past 2 years. Going for the third. I'm 30 years old.

Oct 29, 14 4:39 pm
chigurh

shitty...

I think its pretty hard to get employers to sponsor a visa...firms go through the process and the employee quits after a month, buncha paperwork and headache for nothing and with any new hire it is always a trial period for both parties.  Don't really have any advice other than keep on looking, emphasize that you are willing to make a long term commitment to a company and see if the helps.

Oct 30, 14 10:30 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Chigurn, you are wrong. A lot of employers sponsor H1 visas, and that is how a lot of foreign students get work.

That said, it is difficult unless you have a degree from the US, or can prove that you are REALLY good. Ask yourself, why would someone hire you over another candidate who has a masters from a US school? I would make a portfolio, start talking with friends who might be in different offices and take it from there.

Oct 31, 14 1:47 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

not sure same ole....many job posts specifically state they will not sponsor visas...I have seen previous bosses turn down a candidate at the first mention of needing visa sponsorship.  Yes, some employers do it, but many find it easier to find somebody local which eliminates a whole other headache out of the hiring process which is always a gamble anyways...

Oct 31, 14 8:00 am  · 
 · 
3tk

Larger offices have experience with this, but they have to prove that they could not hire a a US citizen to do the job (which is not terribly difficult, but not easy either).  It also costs over $5k in fees.  Best bet is to hire your own immigration lawyer and offer to do all the paperwork and pay for the visa (or take the pay hit).

Oct 31, 14 9:41 am  · 
 · 
Daniela

I was in your position when i came to the Us. Yes american company can sponsor you. Where are you from?
Oct 31, 14 10:15 am  · 
 · 
Daniela

I was in your position when i came to the Us. Yes, american company can sponsor you. Where are you from?
Send me private email
Oct 31, 14 10:18 am  · 
 · 
RemIsActuallyAnAutobot

I see your problem...it's called Chicago.

I lived there for years with no luck of employment. Then I got a job in NYC. Offers came flooding in. Get outta there. Fast.

Oct 31, 14 12:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: