Archinect
anchor

Syracuse or Sci-Arc

which program do you think is best ? reasons why ?

both very great programs, i just dont know where i would like to be, tutuion money doesnt really matter!  any suggestions ?

Oct 29, 14 2:24 pm
chigurh

sciarc no questions asked.  go and you will figure out why.  

Oct 29, 14 2:30 pm  · 
 · 

sci arc is pure architecture, no campus life

Oct 29, 14 2:30 pm  · 
 · 
Janosh

Those schools couldn't be more different.  If you are trying to decide between them, it's as easy as visiting and deciding which one suits you better.  If you don't know, you might want to wait a couple years before you make a commitment.

Oct 30, 14 11:54 am  · 
 · 
Median

Yes sci arc is an independent design school without dorms. Realize that in 5 years that will mean nothing. 

If you want to study architecture, don't pick a school that is in the middle of no-where, surrounded by no meaningful architecture. 

SCI-ARC is in the middle of the arts district in Los Angeles, one of the most important cities in the world for architecture, with many of the most well known, and new young innovative architects in the world. The school It is very much situated in the discipline and discussion of what architecture could and should be. You will live in an amazing city, mean amazing people, you will have a much crazier, funner, memorable, and far more important experience in LA then in Syracuse. The idea that it you won't get a typical college experience, is true, but the experience, friends and network you will get in LA is many times more important and memorable than what you will get in Syracuse. 

Nov 2, 14 8:09 pm  · 
 · 
batman

why do you even care about a campus life?

youre an architecture student. you have no time for that.

and if you say youre one of those people who make time, or just have impeccable time management - like,  go into studio from 9am-5pm - most likely your design is shit.

Nov 3, 14 1:12 pm  · 
 · 

SCI-arc is a college with manly design, most project and thesis projects when you walk around the building could never be buld just because the college is over all design it self. You learn structures your third year and still much of the buildings design don't take structure into design. How will i design something that can't be stood up. Its all imaginary sci-fi fantasy architecture.

Nov 4, 14 1:35 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

"How will i design something that can't be stood up"

How can you graduate from elementary school if you can't write?

Nov 4, 14 2:03 pm  · 
 · 
bugsmetoo

If you don't like SCI-Arc, then pick Syracuse or wherever else. Plenty of people have given you reasons in support of it but for whatever reason, you focus on stupid petty reasons that are largely irrelevant to an education. Campus life? Leave school and have fun in the city like an adult. Too design-focused? Well duh, that's what one expects from there. 

If it isn't the right place for you, show some gratitude for the responses so far and move on. 

Nov 4, 14 2:47 pm  · 
 · 
iamcornholio

How can you graduate from elementary school if you can't write?

Did you ever stop to think this person might not be a native english speaker?

Nov 5, 14 8:47 pm  · 
 · 
tomahawks_619

I got into both schools and I have friends in both schools and got offered scholarship to both schools but I chose some other school .  (Dont bother with the DI rankings it doesn't even come close to how the schools operate )

Sci Arc 
Its very parametric, and program oriented . You have to have prior knowledge of Rhino , Max / Maya , Vray ... you get hte idea . They do teach you and the school is completely open and everybody can see each other . If you have no prior 3d modelling / rendering knowledge the learning curve is kinda hard. ( I was fascinated by it hence I applied and I got in with 10 k scholarship ) They also have the best model fabrication shop IN THE COUNTRY !!. 3d printers , cnc laser cutters water jets name it they have it . (Major plus also)

Syracuse 
Its very theoretical school with heavy influence on building and detailing. You will build a lot of real life mockup and have plenty of opportunity to build . I believe within the end of first year you will have built a large scale group project . Also the incoming years are always small and its a very community based school . The alumni network is massive cause syracuse is a very old architecture program and they have connections deep in east coast ( which is a major plus in getting a job) . The new dean have changed the school quite a bit non the less the school is very practical and theory (complete opposite of syracuse) They dont have amazing fabrication but then the buildings you design in Syracuse are more realistic unlike sci arc which is parametric and zaha hadid / morphosis style 

I ended up going to pratt which is more like sci arc . 

Whenever choosing what school do consider where you want to live after graduation and where do you want your connections to be . Depending on where you graduate (sci arc west coast) Syracuse (east coast) pretty much defines your early career . 

Hope it helps I am trying to least biased and avoid the rankings which they post online . Its matter of what kinda school you want and what style of architecture you want to pursue (parametric/sci arc) (realistic & theory / Syracuse) 

I have friends in both and constantly get updates and see their work so yeah they both are good 

Nov 17, 14 4:58 pm  · 
 · 
domestico

In order to excel at SCI-Arc you really already have to be, or have a strong passion to be, an expert in 3d design software. The program is so incredibly demanding in this regard and your classmates will be extremely talented with it, that you really have to love it.  Figure that out first before deciding on SCI-Arc, it's an expensive school, you don't want to spend 30k and decide it's not for you.  A more economically feasible and balanced pre-professional undergrad program that'll introduce you to 3d software as well as many other design approaches might be your best option - and if you find out you do have a talent with 3d software then apply to SCI-Arc for a professional degree and learn from the best.

Nov 18, 14 5:23 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: